Vinyl Record Storage
What are your options?
You’ve begun to collect vinyl- but now the question is… “Where am I going to put all of these?” There are so many various options- and we’re going to share some of our favorites. First- here are a few things to remember when you start organizing.
- Do not stack your vinyl. Keep them upright to avoid warping, and make sure that they have a little wiggle room. This will also avoid scuffing and scratching.
- Do not leave your albums out all willy nilly. The jackets and sleeves are meant to protect them, like a cozy little home of their own. When you do put them away, it’s best not to “drop” them into the jacket- just let them slide back in, like a warm bath for vinyl.
- Be sure your shelves are sturdy, and can manage the weight of your collection- the last thing you want to find when you come home from a long day is a sad mess where your storage used to be.
- Store your albums in a place where the temperature is constant and comfortable- you don’t want them to get too hot or too cold. Avoid keeping them in a location where they will be exposed to a lot of sunlight or moisture (the Library of Congress recommends to store your records at 46-50° F with 30-40% relative humidity).
- Keep them in a clean environment- we all love our pets, and our messy partners… but if you can avoid having them in the same place as your beloved music, best to be safe.
Also to consider before you start tossing your records onto or into your new storage system, is how you want to organize them. Alphabetically, by genre, by year… This is just going to be based on your personal taste, and will probably change and evolve as your collection grows. Vinyl record storage is a great way to get some “me time”.
Floating Vinyl Record Shelves
Simple and Clean
For the Compact Collection