New Vinyl

This board may be used for an open discussion on any music-related topic that doesn't quite fit into any of the more specialized forums.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

SID
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

New Vinyl

Post by SID » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:07 pm

Anybody still buying new vinyl ? New Artists,Reissues,etc. How about CD's. Anybody still buy those ?

The Curator
Level 2
Level 2

Re: New Vinyl

Post by The Curator » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:11 am

I buy equal numbers of new records and CDs. For me records are a better all-round experience however it's partly driven by availability of titles and price.

One challenge is that as demand for vinyl began to take off certain back catalogue labels (no names, no lawsuits) began putting out poorly mastered reissues while making a big deal of them being 180g. However they often sound "flat" compared with previous versions. I bought one reissue album which was missing part of the first track ! I understand that some were just being mastered off CD.

Mind you, CD has had an even bigger problem with poor mastering - dynamic compression and loudness clipping - since the mid 90s. Many of the "remasters" have been aimed at mobile listening.

As a result when buying older recordings I now look for the best sounding version of the release, which could mean it's vinyl or CD, new or second hand. When buying new recordings I tend to buy vinyl because it's often mastered better than CD ie not as compressed. The dynamic range database http://dr.loudness-war.info/ is a handy guide to which version of a release is likely to sound best.

Overall, last year in the UK vinyl accounted for 4m units, its highest level since 1991out of a total market (all formats) of 135m. There's a lot of noise about it in the media but it remains to be seen whether it's just being driven by a passing fad from a specific generation. Of all the folks I know socially and at work (mostly middle aged) almost none buy records. I reckon the 4m represents a proportionately much smaller number of hardcore fans who buy a lot more music per person than their counterparts who are streaming.

In the meantime, in my humble opinion it can only be a good thing that you can once more buy new records in towns which five years ago had nowhere selling new records at all. I'll be doing it again this afternoon...

The Curator
Level 2
Level 2

Post by The Curator » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:08 am

...this time I just emerged with the 2016 reissue of "ChangesOneBowie" which is currently retailing around £15 and so is great value. The re-releases of David Bowie's catalogue during the past few years have been sympathetically mastered (in fact the 2015 "Hunky Dory" sounds better than most recordings being released today :D ).

B_big.
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by B_big. » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:20 am

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( ..Image
  • Sid! I regularly buy new releases, it's the way, I build up the major part of my collection since I started collecting. It's because I really don't like second hand or used recordings, because most of them are in unacceptable condition. In my humble opinion it is no delight to listen to a recording, that produces crackle an hiss, you may say that I'm picky, maybe I am, but I have to live with my perception!

The latest addition to my collection is this album, that I have pre-ordered from 'Flightless Records', Australia.
    Just to keep you informed. . Image
. Image
https://www.vinylrotation.org/
the fine art of record cover & sleeve & more
berlin/germany/europe/planet earth/milky way/universe

Return to “Open Forum”