New Vinyl

This board may be used for an open discussion on any music-related topic that doesn't quite fit into any of the more specialized forums.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

SID
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

New Vinyl

Post by SID » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:07 pm

Anybody still buying new vinyl ? New Artists,Reissues,etc. How about CD's. Anybody still buy those ?

The Curator
Level 3
Level 3

Re: New Vinyl

Post by The Curator » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:11 am

I buy equal numbers of new records and CDs. For me records are a better all-round experience however it's partly driven by availability of titles and price.

One challenge is that as demand for vinyl began to take off certain back catalogue labels (no names, no lawsuits) began putting out poorly mastered reissues while making a big deal of them being 180g. However they often sound "flat" compared with previous versions. I bought one reissue album which was missing part of the first track ! I understand that some were just being mastered off CD.

Mind you, CD has had an even bigger problem with poor mastering - dynamic compression and loudness clipping - since the mid 90s. Many of the "remasters" have been aimed at mobile listening.

As a result when buying older recordings I now look for the best sounding version of the release, which could mean it's vinyl or CD, new or second hand. When buying new recordings I tend to buy vinyl because it's often mastered better than CD ie not as compressed. The dynamic range database http://dr.loudness-war.info/ is a handy guide to which version of a release is likely to sound best.

Overall, last year in the UK vinyl accounted for 4m units, its highest level since 1991out of a total market (all formats) of 135m. There's a lot of noise about it in the media but it remains to be seen whether it's just being driven by a passing fad from a specific generation. Of all the folks I know socially and at work (mostly middle aged) almost none buy records. I reckon the 4m represents a proportionately much smaller number of hardcore fans who buy a lot more music per person than their counterparts who are streaming.

In the meantime, in my humble opinion it can only be a good thing that you can once more buy new records in towns which five years ago had nowhere selling new records at all. I'll be doing it again this afternoon...

The Curator
Level 3
Level 3

Post by The Curator » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:08 am

...this time I just emerged with the 2016 reissue of "ChangesOneBowie" which is currently retailing around £15 and so is great value. The re-releases of David Bowie's catalogue during the past few years have been sympathetically mastered (in fact the 2015 "Hunky Dory" sounds better than most recordings being released today :D ).

B_big.
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by B_big. » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:20 am

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( ..Image
  • Sid! I regularly buy new releases, it's the way, I build up the major part of my collection since I started collecting. It's because I really don't like second hand or used recordings, because most of them are in unacceptable condition. In my humble opinion it is no delight to listen to a recording, that produces crackle an hiss, you may say that I'm picky, maybe I am, but I have to live with my perception!

The latest addition to my collection is this album, that I have pre-ordered from 'Flightless Records', Australia.
    Just to keep you informed. . Image
. Image
https://www.vinylrotation.org/
the fine art of record cover & sleeve & more
berlin/germany/europe/planet earth/milky way/universe

The Curator
Level 3
Level 3

Post by The Curator » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:01 pm

Although I appreciate the economics of low volume production and sales, it irks me that the retail price for many vinyl albums in the UK is over £20 (about $26.60). As a vinyl lover and someone with a house to run I struggle to justify that much, especially when a CD equivalent will generally be £9.99 or less due to “sale” offers.

My nearest record shop is part of a chain which also sells CDs, DVDs and related items such as headphones. I prefer the experience of physical shopping. I make a point of checking through the racks a couple of times a month noting price movements. The fluidity in pricing is very apparent in vinyl right now.

Typically a new album release will open up at, say, £17.99. If it doesn’t sell out it’ll fall to, say, £13.99 while they try to clear excess stock. If it does sell out and they re-stock, or if they’re left with only one or two copies, it’ll then go back up to £20 or more while it occupies space as back catalogue. All this takes place over just three or four months. In the old days you’d have movement between an album being a new release and it becoming back catalogue, but I don’t remember it being as wide a range of movements, nor as swift. The trick as a buyer is to catch the bottom of the curve.

A reissue programme across several albums by a particular artist will generally be better value (although some are on lower quality labels and their mastering can lead to a flat sound). “Classic” albums often remain low, say, £12.99, since over time they’re bound to shift to the new generation of buyers or as gifts to the older generation revisiting vinyl.

The price elasticity probably shouldn’t come as a surprise, since I guess records are a commodity just like petrol. However I’m old enough to remember how folks in the UK were ripped off by CD pricing, which in the 80’s and 90’s was double the price of CDs in the US. Anyway, a fortnight ago the vinyl reissue of “Exile On Main Street” was a whopping £29.99 whereas yesterday it was £12.99 ! They must have thought it would be viewed as some sort of premium product and then found nobody was interested at that price.

As a result of all this I buy new albums from my wishlist based on patience and timing.

Yesterday I came out with the new Nine Inch Nails album for £16.99. They have a hardcore fan base which I’m sure will make it sell out at that. This weekend’s listening is now sorted ! :D

B_big.
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by B_big. » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:06 am

• When I read your report about the price development in England, I guess, they want to cash in on the rise of vinyl record sales in general. We spent a few days in London recently and we had the impression, that the pricing in England is high in general. When we saw the offers of real estate agents for flats to rent, we couldn't believe that these can be paid by ordinary people.
    Regarding the sales prices for vinyl records here in Berlin/Germany, I would like to say, that they are slightly lower than yours, but not really fair. As you described, the sales prices for CDs are significant lower . . .

When I investigated to find the reason, I was informed that they legitimate this with the argument of higher efforts in producing a vinyl recording . . . very strange! . Image
. Image

The Curator
Level 3
Level 3

Post by The Curator » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:08 pm

B_big. wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:06 am
We spent a few days in London recently and we had the impression, that the pricing in England is high in general. When we saw the offers of real estate agents for flats to rent, we couldn't believe that these can be paid by ordinary people.
Certainly ordinary people have been squeezed out of buying houses in London and increasingly out of its commmuter belt also. Property investors have consumed housing stock since interest rates are so low that buying property is the most obvious low risk strategy for those who have cash. Overall there's a shortage of affordable housing in the area and essential services such as teaching and nursing are under pressure as a result. In turn, rental prices are high just as you've seen.

I have no idea how average folks could afford to build a collection of albums when many back catalogue items cost upwards of £20. Then again, in my view vinyl purchasing remains underpinned by a relatively small number of hard core fans who between them buy a disproportionately large amount of music.

Steptoe
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Steptoe » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:38 pm

I usually buy 1 new (or new reissue) once a month, never like to pay more than £20 for it though.

This months one was the reissue of Pink Flag by Wire, released on their own Pinkflag label - sounds superb, a copy of the original is way outside my price range!.

I like to buy the new stuff mainly from the artists own website if i can, i find that they sometimes add a few extras as thanks, mostly it's Scottish artists such as King Creosote, Lomond Campbell, Pictish Trail, etc.. or from labels such as Fruits de Mer, Triassic Tusk.

Still quite successful around the charity(thrift) shops and the car boot sales - managed to get a copy of Fotheringham on Island (1st issue pink label) for £2 on sunday, as well as 6 others for £1 :D
My site on 45Worlds, trying to catalog those dodgy cassettes that used to appear everywhere. Mainly because I find them a bit interesting and a little time capsule before they went legal

http://www.45spaces.com/semilegal-70s-80s-cassettes

B_big.
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by B_big. » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:48 pm

Steptoe wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:38 pm
I usually buy 1 new (or new reissue) once a month, never like to pay more than £20 for it though.

This months one was the reissue of Pink Flag by Wire, released on their own Pinkflag label - sounds superb, a copy of the original is way outside my price range!.

I like to buy the new stuff mainly from the artists own website if i can, i find that they sometimes add a few extras as thanks, mostly it's Scottish artists such as King Creosote, Lomond Campbell, Pictish Trail, etc.. or from labels such as Fruits de Mer, Triassic Tusk.

Still quite successful around the charity(thrift) shops and the car boot sales - managed to get a copy of Fotheringham on Island (1st issue pink label) for £2 on sunday, as well as 6 others for £1 :D

• . . . 'Fruits de Mer . . . I have pre-ordered recently two albums, they recommended. These are distributed through the artists themselves:

• Nathan Hall and the Sinister Locals - 'Tunguska Tydfil' - ltd. to vinyl 12", 250 copies - release date Sept. 2018 ('The Soft Hearted Scientists')

Chrystal Jaqueline - 'We Fill In Forms And Mow The Lawns'
    it's such a great label not just for reissues. They are the place to dig for contemporary English psychedelic releases!
    Now I have to wait . . . . Image
. Image

Steptoe
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Steptoe » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:58 pm

B_big. wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:48 pm

• . . . 'Fruits de Mer . . . I have pre-ordered recently two albums, they recommended. These are distributed through the artists themselves:

• Nathan Hall and the Sinister Locals - 'Tunguska Tydfil' - ltd. to vinyl 12", 250 copies - release date Sept. 2018 ('The Soft Hearted Scientists')

Chrystal Jaqueline - 'We Fill In Forms And Mow The Lawns'
    it's such a great label not just for reissues. They are the place to dig for contemporary English psychedelic releases!
    Now I have to wait . . . . Image
:D Snap! have ordered the Nathan Hall album as well - really like his music (and the soft hearted scientists).

I've passed on the Crystal Jacqueline album for the moment but have ordered the Fuschia one

Did you pick up The Sidewalk Society 'Strange Roads : The Songs Of Rolled Gold'? - that has to be one of my favourite releases from FdM over the past few years, brilliant recreation of the 'lost' Action album
My site on 45Worlds, trying to catalog those dodgy cassettes that used to appear everywhere. Mainly because I find them a bit interesting and a little time capsule before they went legal

http://www.45spaces.com/semilegal-70s-80s-cassettes

Return to “Open Forum”