Rudolf Kempe Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra ,WRC.

This forum is specifically dedicated to the category of classical music including Brass, Patriotic, Ethnic, Military and Marches. You may discuss any and all aspects of this genre of music. Please no buying or selling of items at this board.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

darkdubh
Level 4
Level 4

Rudolf Kempe Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra ,WRC.

Post by darkdubh » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:46 am

I picked up this record in a charity shop the other day.Its Rudolf Kempe conducting The Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra playing Kodaly :Suite Hary Janos .Tchaikovsky Theme And Variations From Suite No 3 and Gotovac Kolo from Ero Der Schelm.Its on the World Record Club Limited T 763.Looking up on Popsike a lot of LPs featuring Kempe fetch high prices.I can't find out any info on this one though.Anyone know if its collectable or sought after?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 0645_n.jpg

vinyl1
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

RE: Rudolf Kempe Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra ,WRC.

Post by vinyl1 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:34 pm

It is some sort of EMI recording that was issued in the US on Angel.

I found the WRC press on a dealer's list for £10, but that is his bottom price for anything he sells. I would say $5-10 in the US is a realistic price to actually make a sale, if you could ever find anyone who wanted it.

darkdubh
Level 4
Level 4

Re: RE: Rudolf Kempe Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra ,WRC.

Post by darkdubh » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:00 pm

vinyl1 wrote:It is some sort of EMI recording that was issued in the US on Angel.

I found the WRC press on a dealer's list for £10, but that is his bottom price for anything he sells. I would say $5-10 in the US is a realistic price to actually make a sale, if you could ever find anyone who wanted it.
Ok thanks.Not to mind.I'll hang onto it,i really like the cover thats what drew me to to it in the first place.

frankw
Level 4
Level 4

RE: Re: RE: Rudolf Kempe Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra ,WRC.

Post by frankw » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:57 pm

If it's the mono version (T763) instead of the stereo (ST763: EMI were still dual inventory for WRC issues through 1968) then scarcely worth 'pennies'.

However, the re-cut stereo matrices are very good (the 1962 stereo was allegedly very poorly done.. HMV: ASD 494).
The earliest pressing of this reissue will have a red label/silver print/stroboscope: matrices; dash 5/3 - with 'KT' near the centre hole indicating a pre-April 1968 pressing.

So, it's an 'undiscovered' audiophile LP - but the sleeve condition should be far cleaner (suggest you remove the grime with Isopropyl Alcohol (Isopropanol) dabbed onto some tissue-paper).

darkdubh
Level 4
Level 4

Re: RE: Re: RE: Rudolf Kempe Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra ,

Post by darkdubh » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:53 pm

frankw wrote:If it's the mono version (T763) instead of the stereo (ST763: EMI were still dual inventory for WRC issues through 1968) then scarcely worth 'pennies'.

However, the re-cut stereo matrices are very good (the 1962 stereo was allegedly very poorly done.. HMV: ASD 494).
The earliest pressing of this reissue will have a red label/silver print/stroboscope: matrices; dash 5/3 - with 'KT' near the centre hole indicating a pre-April 1968 pressing.

So, it's an 'undiscovered' audiophile LP - but the sleeve condition should be far cleaner (suggest you remove the grime with Isopropyl Alcohol (Isopropanol) dabbed onto some tissue-paper).
I'm not sure what You mean by matrices but everything else You describe matches,The red/silver sleeve and KT near the center hole plus the number T763.

KentT
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Rudolf Kempe Vienna Philharmonic Orchest

Post by KentT » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:17 pm

And this is a great quality version of this recording, either mono or Stereo. The Stereo on WRC is superior to the 1962 EMI ASD original mastering, which was a letdown big time.

frankw
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frankw » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:03 pm

The (chinese?) buyer who's just acquired ASD 494 (in less than mint condition) for nearly £125 maybe thinks that's a bargain?
But you need to be very knowledgeable re: early stereos (EMI before 1964/5); with re-cuts, before that date, also being quite inconsistent.

ALP 1974 (the mono version of ASD 525: Vienna PO on Holiday / Kempe) has extremely nice sound.

Return to “Classical”