Worst "Edited Version" Ever

This forum has information about vinyl designated for "promotional" or "radio" use only.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

barkatozz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by barkatozz » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:36 am

Kansas 45s of Song For America, Carry On Wayward Son, & Portrait(He Knew) were butchered. Spirit Of Radio by Rush is so butchered I have to laugh when I hear it.

barkatozz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by barkatozz » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:37 am

wand143 wrote:If you're not too crazy about all that stuff in between, there is a 3:12 version of "Whole Lotta Love" by Led Zeppelin - it's not bad, but it's pretty abrupt after you've heard the 5:33 version. I have it on an Atlantic compilation album.
The promo 45 version is a little longer with only the percussion middle cut out.

annaloog
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by annaloog » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:59 pm

ShadySam wrote:steppenwolf, on classic rock radio
The original 45-rpm single of "Magic Carpet Ride" (US Dunhill D-4161) was edited severely enough, though at 2:55 it's still listenable, but subsequent edits deemed worthy of radio broadcast were badly butchered. Odd that it was edited at all, when "For Madmen Only" was issued (as a single B-side), timed at 8:46

webkrawlerr
Level 2
Level 2

Re: RE: Worst "Edited Version" Ever

Post by webkrawlerr » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:11 am

KentT wrote:Let us not forget "House Of The Rising Sun" by The Animals. And the MGM Debut LP even had that edit. We didn't get the full version until "The Best Of The Animals" was issued here.
I thought I read somewhere that on SOME of the pressings it had the long version but the only way to know if it had the long version or short version was to actually play it.

StephenMacLeod
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Re: RE: Worst "Edited Version" Ever

Post by StephenMacLeod » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:26 am

webkrawlerr wrote:
KentT wrote:Let us not forget "House Of The Rising Sun" by The Animals. And the MGM Debut LP even had that edit. We didn't get the full version until "The Best Of The Animals" was issued here.
I thought I read somewhere that on SOME of the pressings it had the long version but the only way to know if it had the long version or short version was to actually play it.
The original Canadian issue on Capitol is the long version.

wand143
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

RE: Re: RE: Worst "Edited Version" Ever

Post by wand143 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:42 am

Deja vu! I happened to be flipping to the first page of this string and this was brought up in 2010!
Actually, with "edited version" I was trying to pertain specifically to promo copies, but if you guys want to present stock copies of edits (which may have already been on promos) that's fine, too. BTW, we in the states didn't get "House" in the full version on 45 until MGM's "Golden Circle" reissue came out.
"That big ol' hole, little bitty record...nobody's gonna buy that!" - Carl Perkins, 1956

CaptainVague
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by CaptainVague » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:14 pm

I am suprised nobody mentioned the "One, two, three, four!" count-in by McCartney on "I Saw Her Standing There" being reduced to "Four" on the first Vee Jay release. Simply absurd.
"In the 60's it was rock & roll, by the 70's they dropped the roll and called it rock, in the 80's MTV came along and it was more like professional wrestling." Tom Petty

webkrawlerr
Level 2
Level 2

Post by webkrawlerr » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:36 am

Paradise By The Dashboard Light / Meatloaf is an AWFUL edit.

stephenjaye
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by stephenjaye » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:35 pm

My vote goes to the disco mélange that begins with the Hawaii Five-0 theme and continues with Chubby Checker's 'Let's Twist Again', and so forth. Painful...

wand143
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by wand143 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:25 pm

CaptainVague wrote:I am suprised nobody mentioned the "One, two, three, four!" count-in by McCartney on "I Saw Her Standing There" being reduced to "Four" on the first Vee Jay release. Simply absurd.
Blame Vee Jay for that one - when they got the rights to the master, they loused it up when they cut their own version of the album. I have a German version of the "Please Please Me" album and the countdown's complete on that. I heard two different stories of why that cut occurred: either the VJ engineers thought it was a piece of studio chatter; or that they goofed when they cut the master. You decide.
"That big ol' hole, little bitty record...nobody's gonna buy that!" - Carl Perkins, 1956

Return to “Promotional Records”