Canadian label variations on "Are You Experienced"

oldbillclarke
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Canadian label variations on "Are You Experienced"

Post by oldbillclarke » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:47 am

These are some Canadian variations of "Are You Experienced" by Jimi Hendrix Experience. I have not differentiated for stereo and mono because frankly I'm not too well informed on that part. I would assume that it was available in mono until roughly mid 1968.
VERSION ONE: Blue label, silver logo & text. Manufactured & distributed by Compo. (1967)
VERSION TWO: Black label, silver logo & text. Man. & dist. by Compo. (1967)
**I have never seen the blue label in the flesh, only Internet scans. My guess is the blue is very scarce. And incidently, I don't know which color came first but the black label is much more common in my experience than the blue one.**

VERSION THREE: Tri-color label, black text. Man. & dist. by Warner Bros. (late 1967 to mid 1968)
VERSION FOUR: Exactly the same as above but now man. & dist. by Warner Bros-Seven Arts. (mid 1968 to early 1970)
**Early in 1970, the parent company reverted back to "Warner Bros." dropping "Seven Arts". At this time the tri-color label was still in use and these early to mid 1970 copies may be similar or identical to the Version Three label.**

VERSION FIVE: Butterscotch label, black & red logo, black text. Man. & dist. by Warner Bros. (mid 1970 to circa November 1971)
VERSION SIX: Same as above but now man. & dist. by Kinney Music. (late 1971-circa Sept. 1972)
VERSION SEVEN: Same as above but now man. & dist. by WEA. Small text around the bottom of the label reads "Manufactured And Distributed by WEA Music Of Canada, LTD." (circa Sept. 1972 to sometime in 1976.)
VERSION EIGHT: Same as Version Seven but the small text at the bottom reads "Manufactured and Distributed By/Fabrique Et Distribue Par - WEA Music Of Canada, Ltd. 1810 Birchmount Rd. Scarborough, Ont. a Warner Communications Company..." (1976-?)

If anyone can add anything to this, please do.

pmuck4
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pmuck4 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:42 pm

I am surprised at the report of a blue Reprise LP label for this LP.could it be that the internet scan of the" blue" label you viewed was a colour distortion on the photo? i bid once on ebay for some Canadian 78s that looked blue on the scan but when they arrived the 78s were the usual charcoal colour. Did you see the scan of a blue label more than once? i cannot recall any otherReprise blue labels but there certainly are black ones such as the Trini Lopez LP at PJs. If anyone can confirm another LP in the steamboat design that would clinh it. i am going to check through the reprise Lps in my collection.

oldbillclarke
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by oldbillclarke » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:22 pm

The normal colour for Reprise/Compo mid 1960's LP labels certainly is black and 45 labels were blue. Sometimes, rarely, 45 labels were black which I assume was because they had run out of blue labels. So maybe that happened with LP labels but in reverse.

bubba lou
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by bubba lou » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:49 pm

oldbillclarke wrote:The normal colour for Reprise/Compo mid 1960's LP labels certainly is black and 45 labels were blue. Sometimes, rarely, 45 labels were black which I assume was because they had run out of blue labels. So maybe that happened with LP labels but in reverse.
I'm going on memory here but I seem to recall some Dean Martin & Frank Sinatra records with blue Reprise labels & believe they were Mono pressings. Perhaps the blue label Hendrix was the Mono pressing.
Inspiration may be a form of super-consciousness, or perhaps of subconsciousness - I wouldn't know. But I am sure it is the antithesis of self-consciousness. (Aaron Copland)

StephenMacLeod
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by StephenMacLeod » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:19 pm

bubba lou wrote:
oldbillclarke wrote:The normal colour for Reprise/Compo mid 1960's LP labels certainly is black and 45 labels were blue. Sometimes, rarely, 45 labels were black which I assume was because they had run out of blue labels. So maybe that happened with LP labels but in reverse.
I'm going on memory here but I seem to recall some Dean Martin & Frank Sinatra records with blue Reprise labels & believe they were Mono pressings. Perhaps the blue label Hendrix was the Mono pressing.
I was just thinking the same thing Blue label and silver print,never saw a Hendrix on Blue Reprise though but the color would make sense for mono.

oldbillclarke
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by oldbillclarke » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:18 am

You guys might be onto something because United Artists LP labels of the same time period, also Compo I might add, had red labels for mono and black labels for stereo.

Return to “LP's/EP's”