Elektra LABELOGRAPHY

weletthegoldfishgo
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Elektra LABELOGRAPHY

Post by weletthegoldfishgo » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:33 am

White label with red logo and lettering.

As used on EKL-29, a 10-inch record issued in 1955.
Attachments
Elektra-EKL-29-RCG.jpg
Elektra 1955 10-inch record label
Elektra-EKL-29-RCG.jpg (40.79 KiB) Viewed 2551 times
The artist's life is the best life, if he can survive the first 40 years of it. --Thomas Hart Benton

weletthegoldfishgo
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

RE: Elektra LABELOGRAPHY

Post by weletthegoldfishgo » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:59 pm

White label with bright red logo and lettering. As used on EKL-123, a 12-inch record issued in 1957.

According to Joe Lindsay's book, The 'Record Label' Guide for Domestic LP's, this label style was issued with both a blue or green logo and lettering, but doesn't mention the red one like I have provided in my scan.

The white label with blue logo and lettering can be seen on EKL-158, Josh White CHAIN GANG SONGS, of which I do not have a copy. I do not know about a green color example at this time.
Attachments
Elektra-EKL-123-RCG.jpg
Elektra 1957 12-inch record label
Elektra-EKL-123-RCG.jpg (42.47 KiB) Viewed 2503 times
The artist's life is the best life, if he can survive the first 40 years of it. --Thomas Hart Benton

elvisluvs
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by elvisluvs » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:24 pm

Hi B- thought I would add a couple of pics. Flush the sleeve pic if not needed; I just thought if someone wanted a reference to the ekl-100's. No, I didn't listen :oops: :roll: :)
Attachments
timeout 008.JPG
timeout 008.JPG (48.09 KiB) Viewed 2349 times
timeout 007.JPG
timeout 007.JPG (43.33 KiB) Viewed 2349 times

weletthegoldfishgo
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by weletthegoldfishgo » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:30 am

Thanks for posting the pic! I recently acquired one of these grey labels from johnnyrocket, but I haven't had time to scan and edit and post. So it's cool that you did it. And that sleeve looks cool here, too. WOOHOO!

j_loop
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by j_loop » Tue May 22, 2012 6:57 pm

A couple label variations of Barrie's. Does your book say anything about the red-back, silver-lettering one? You probably would have mentioned it, but I thought I'd ask. Sorry, don't know the dates on these.
Attachments
P1040801.jpg
P1040801.jpg (52.22 KiB) Viewed 1040 times
P1040802.jpg
P1040802.jpg (28.98 KiB) Viewed 1040 times

Dollarsterno
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dollarsterno » Tue May 22, 2012 7:14 pm

A couple of examples. White/blue. Enjoy!
Attachments
discogs21a.jpg
discogs21a.jpg (57.99 KiB) Viewed 1023 times
discogs11b.jpg
discogs11b.jpg (57.12 KiB) Viewed 1023 times

weletthegoldfishgo
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by weletthegoldfishgo » Tue May 22, 2012 8:30 pm

Thanks for posting that white with blue lettering, jloop and Dollarsterno! And that's the first time I've ever seen the red label 45/45 stereo disc, jloop! That is super cool and we'll have to learn about it from the Elektra expert, annaloog. The Joe Lindsay book doesn't mention the red label disc.

And that Josh White - JOSH AT MIDNIGHT was first issued in 1956 so would have been clad with a label similar to your Josh White - SPIRITUALS AND BLUES, Dollarsterno. So that one's a reissue. But since we didn't already have the gold "sawtooth" label posted, thanks for putting this one up. That gold "sawtooth" label design was used from 1961 until the first quarter of 1966 (approx. LP #306 (mono) and #7306 (stereo) according to Joe Lindsay's book.

annaloog
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by annaloog » Fri May 25, 2012 12:20 pm

The maroon/silver designs were used with the early (1958-59) stereo "200-X" series ... the stereo number added 100 to the equivalent mono number with an "X" suffix, with exceptions for the stereo-only EKL-201-X, EKL-202-X and EKL-203-X; and EKL-204-X, the mono edition of which was numbered EKL-162. There was a stereo sampler, SMP-4X, which was issued with both maroon/silver label designs.

The top illustration (my no. L3b) is a minor variant which shows the word "STEREO" replacing "45/45 Stereo Disc" ... probably a 'factory variation'.

The bottom illustration (my no. L4a) is a later design. Similar labels with a white background and print colors of red, blue or green exist, as do a couple other variations.

-------------------------

A rough guide to US Elektra LP label designs 1950-1975:
  • L1. ΣLΣKTRA in block caps top — ring around center background color: deep (metallic) blue [EKLP-1 only]
    L2a. Elektra in oblique script top — background color: blue, red or black; print color: white/silver or gold [early 10-inch (EKLP-2 through EKLP-6) only]
    L2b. Elektra in oblique script top — background color: white; print color: blue, red, green or brown
    L3a. Elektra in colored ellipse top; thick medial horizontal bar — background color: white; print color: blue, red, green or brown (promo: black or blue) [other colors exist] (monaural issues)
    L3b. Elektra in silver ellipse top; thick medial horizontal bar — background color: maroon; print color: silver (early stereo issues)
    L4a. Elektra and guitar player logo in O of StereO top; thinner medial horizontal bar — background color: white; print color: blue, red, green or brown [other colors exist] (early stereo issues)
    L4b. Elektra and guitar player logo in O of StereO top; thinner medial horizontal bar — background color: maroon; print color: silver (early stereo issues)
    L5. Elektra and guitar player logo in red-orange disk top — background color: gray;
    print color: black — stereo copies show STEREO printed vertically in red or black; white label promo copies have a different guitar player design
    L6a. Elektra and guitar player logo top — background color: gold; print color: black; white label promo copies have the guitar player logo in a smaller seal device upper left
    L6b. Elektra and guitar player logo top — background color: red; print color: black [used for "first pressings" of sampler S-8 and S7-8 only]
    L7. top: Elektra guitar player and Folkways logos — background color: black; print color: silver [custom label for EKL-BOX and "first pressings" of EKL-9001]
    L8a. large white "E" logo top — background color: 'tan' (tint variations: gold, copper, beige, etc.); print color: black
    L8a promo. large white "E" logo in black circle top [Note: design used concurrently with Type L8b promo]
    L8b. large white "E" logo top; no address bottom — background color: red (tint variations: red-orange, etc.); print color: black
    L8b promo. large black "E" logo top — [Note: used concurrently with Type L8a promo]
    L8c. large white "E" logo top; 1855 Broadway address bottom — background color: red (tint variations: red-orange, etc.); print color: black
    L9. multicolor butterfly holding "E" logo right — bottom rimtext: Elektra Records, 15 Columbus Circle, New York City 10023 — background color: multicolor (mostly blue-gray, brown/tint variations); print color: black
    L9Q.multicolor butterfly holding "E" logo right — black background (quadraphonic issues)
    L10. butterfly holding "E" logo right; bottom rimtext: 962 N. La Cienega Blvd address and Warner Communications logo — background color: multicolor (mostly green/tint variations); print color: black

[Note: the 2nd Dandelion issue has a small "E" top. Some copies of Elektra EKS-74066 have this label in error.]
Attachments
00202X.jpg
Elektra EKL-202-X
Gypsy Magic
Edi Csoka and his Gypsy Orchestra
00202X.jpg (33.6 KiB) Viewed 951 times
00234X.jpg
Elektra EKL-234-X
Four French Horns
Julius Watkins, Mat Mathews et al
00234X.jpg (32.15 KiB) Viewed 951 times

Return to “LP's/EP's”