London Records Canadian 45 label variations

oldbillclarke
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

London Records Canadian 45 label variations

Post by oldbillclarke » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:30 pm

London Records Canadian 45 label variations:

London Records of Montreal, P.Q. was affiliated with Decca Records of the U.K. and many of it's artists were from the British Isles. The London label also picked up some
smaller U.S. labels in the '50's and '60's such as Jamie, Guyden, Duke, Sun, Cameo
and Minit. London had a lot of different numbering schemes. The L. 1000. L. 2000
and L. 9500 series are usually British acts, the FC. 200 series is mostly French
Canadian artists and the M. 17000 usually are U.S. recordings from some of the
above named record companies.

1950-circa 1953: Solid blue label, gold logo & text. Made in England.
1950-circa 1953: Maroon label, gold logo & text. Made in England.
The blue label appears to be pop music and the maroon label was used for classical music styles.

1953-1957: Black label, silver logo & text. Earlier issues had two horizontal lines, later they had only one.
1957-1959: Blue label, silver logo & text. One horizontal line.
1959-1965*: Blue label, silver logo & text. Two horizontal lines.
* French language "FC" series remained blue until at least 1966.
1965-1968*: Pale orange triangles design label, black logo & text. Two horizontal lines. *French language 45's remained orange until at least 1976, some even had small holes in the 1975-76 period.
1968-1974: Blue triangles design label, no horizontal lines.
circa 1973: Pink label with red & yellow horizontal waves, black logo & text. This was used mostly for the French languauge "FC" series.
1974-1976: Bright green label, dark green logo, black text. Some of these (1975-76) were issued with small British type holes.
1975-1976: White label, red logo, black text. Nearly all of these had small holes.
The above two designs overlapped for reasons unknown to me.
1976-1980: Sunrise, river & bridge mural label, black logo & text. A few very early issues had small holes.

All above styles beginning in 1953 were manufactured & distributed by London Records. In 1980 London Records was purchased by Polygram and it appears the London label appears to have been discontinued for a short while but it had re-appeared by circa 1982 as a division of Polygram.

circa 1982-1989: White label, red & black logo, black text.

lamas
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM
Location: Warwick ( 8 miles NE of Stratford Upon Avon ) England

RE: London Records Canadian 45 label variations

Post by lamas » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:03 pm

I enjoyed reading your list

I do not have ANY Canadian LONDON although I nearly won one not long ago on EBay a single by Bobby Bland ( from DUKE as mentioned by you )

I have been thinking of doing something similar with UK labels ( including LONDON ) but with Photos -

The problem I have is that I do not own a camera and have not got around to borrowing " her in doers'' " camera - I intend to buy one soon anyway

Is there any chance of your posting Pictures of the above labels > 'cos that would be VERY interesting to see

1950-circa 1953: Solid blue label, gold logo & text. Made in England.
1950-circa 1953: Maroon label, gold logo & text. Made in England.
These 7 " 45 RPM records were pressed in the UK by DECCA at a time when they issued ONLY 78 RPM singles in the UK

It just goes to show how badly the UK economy was hit after WW II - There was lots of rationing and NO money around to buy the new equipment needed to play the 45's

LAMAS

Return to “45's”