Private Stock Records as future Collectibles

Use this forum for labels by band or links to all-inclusive compilation sites.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

Valdez
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by Valdez » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:54 pm

Lately I have come across a couple of these (Blondie, Lemongello) and I am thinking this label may be a big deal soon for collectible records, if not already. I found a little history and a few amazing facts about an unpaid storage bill that makes our vinyls alittle rarer than most.

from wiki...
Private Stock Records was a record label which was started in 1974 by Larry Uttal after he was ousted from Bell Records. The label had hit records with singles by David Soul of Starsky and Hutch fame ("Don't Give Up on Us"), Starbuck ("Moonlight Feels Right"), Austin Roberts ("Rocky"), Samantha Sang ("Emotion"), Walter Murphy and the Big Apple Band ("A Fifth of Beethoven"), and Frankie Valli ("My Eyes Adored You").

Blondie's eponymous debut album, which was not a commercial success at the time, was also originally issued on Private Stock in 1976, as were two final single releases by Junior Campbell. Singer-songwriter Tom Paxton's 1975 album, Something in My Life and Rupert Holmes' fourth album, Pursuit of Happiness were also released by the label. Peter Lemongello released one album for Private Stock after his successful debut Love '76. However, the Love '76 album was never released by Private Stock.

The label closed down in 1978 when Uttal moved to London where he died some years later. His son Jai Uttal has the rights to the catalogue but does not have access to the master tapes as they were lost when an unpaid storage bill forced their auction. As such, most if not all Private Stock CD's have been dubbed from vinyl.

Interesting huh?
"There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home."
Ken Olsen,founder and CEO of Digital Equipment Corporation.

Moser
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Re: Private Stock Records as future Collectibles

Post by Moser » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:26 am

Valdez wrote:Peter Lemongello Love '76.
Spun often here. I love this freekin' record. Mood rock, baby.

I've never heard his Private Stock LP. I think it's rerecordings of some of the studio tracks from Love '76.

No, I don't think these albums will increase in value. There are more available than there is a demand for. I doubt the demand will increase. Love '76 is much harder to find clean and it's not worth that much. I payed $10 for my VG+ copy.

Valdez
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

RE: Re: Private Stock Records as future Collectibles

Post by Valdez » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:20 am

Im not sure if he (lemongello) has an album on PS...I only have a yellow vinyl promo 45 on PS by lemongello.... I agree he will not be a big collectible. But Samantha Sang & Blondie and others may be. im just thinking that this was a pretty short lived label with an interesting roster.

Valdez
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Re: RE: Re: Private Stock Records as future Collectibles

Post by Valdez » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:47 am

Valdez wrote:Im not sure if he (lemongello) has an album on PS...I only have a yellow vinyl promo 45 on PS by lemongello.... I agree he will not be a big collectible. But Samantha Sang & Blondie and others may be. im just thinking that this was a pretty short lived label with an interesting roster.

like Pussycat!!! and these in the UK.

http://www.45cat.com/label/private-stock
Attachments
pussyc.jpg
pussyc.jpg (24.53 KiB) Viewed 812 times

Heidler
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by Heidler » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:33 pm

Good information all around, but just to add some information that might be of interest to some Guild members.

Although the late Larry Utall is usually associated with Bell Records (along with subsidiaries Amy and Mala) his history goes back a bit further.

For several years, he owned and ran the MADISON label out of New York City.
One of the biggest hits for this imprint was the ORIGINAL release of "Harlem Nocturne" as by The Viscounts from 1959* ( Madison 123 ) reaching a national 59.

*When Larry went to Bell Records, he arranged for the master to be placed with Amy (940) in 1966, this time cracking the national Top-40 ( in at number 39)

Some people don't know that Frankie Valli ( Francis Castellucio ) not only recorded for Private Stock, but also had a 30% stake in the company (thus the name Private Stock)
With the label, Frankie had four Top-40 hits in 1975-1976( including the number one platinum single "My Eyes Adored You" )

Like Neil Bogart's Casablanca Records and Filmworks, despite huge sales figures, Private Stock got into financial trouble and folded.

Larry reportedly died as a result of complications relating to AIDS.

His daughter, Jody ( Utall ) Gold lives over in Santa Monica.

Seems that at times, the recordmen were far more interesting than many of the arists that were associated with them.
Larry Utall is one of those people.

H

Moser
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Re: RE: Re: Private Stock Records as future Collectibles

Post by Moser » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:51 pm

Valdez wrote:Im not sure if he (lemongello) has an album on PS...I only have a yellow vinyl promo 45 on PS by lemongello....
Yeah, he does. I see it every now and then but it's usually beat up.

Love '76 TV ad;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLqhduumlgI

Valdez
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by Valdez » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:35 pm

Thanks Heidler. Yes Valli was in on this label. I think this may be one of the more interesting labels around in the 70s and an in depth look at Private Stocks artist roster is really an eye opener.
Attachments
spaghetti head.jpg
spaghetti head.jpg (53.33 KiB) Viewed 743 times

Heidler
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by Heidler » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:04 pm

Hello Valdez;

You're spot-on with regard to the variety of talent that was on the roster of this much overlooked label.

I don't have very much in the files on Private Stock, only that Frankie Valli seemed to be the biggest seller for the label ( also with the 'newer' Four Seasons )
The label also seemed to release a good number of 'one-shot' artists.

It would indeed be interesting to know if there any collectors of the label out there.

For a (too) short period, the label was very successful, so much so, that they even had a London-based office in the posh West-end (32 Old Burlington Street)
The New York City-based office was located at 40 West 57th Street, very near to where Sue Records (US) was based.

Also, it was often reported that Larry Utall died in London.
He had returned to the USA, took an apartment in Manhatten, started a travel agency, and died in the city in 1993.

As always, Valdez, you post some very interesting information, this thread on Private Stock Records is one such example.
Keep posting! and thanks.

H
Last edited by Heidler on Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valdez
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by Valdez » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:09 pm

Thanks... I'm divinating (is that a word?) all of my P.S. LPs & 45s. One of interest to me is the band "MUD" lol. There are plenty of U.K. PS 45s out there, as well as US. This label was very much alive for a very short time indeed.

Return to “Miscellaneous”