Eric Clapton

Use this forum to offer feedback about a recently viewed concert. You may include opinions, photos or any other information that may be informative or educational about the groups that were viewed.

Please keep the reviews relative to a recently attended concert. This means a concert that was attended within the last few weeks of the posting.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

CaptainVague
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Eric Clapton

Post by CaptainVague » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:09 pm

Eric has been on my wife's bucket list for some time now. Myself I had seen him in 1975 with Santana and again in 1984 at the Ronnie Lane benefit show. I wasn't keen on $250 a ticket but hearing he may be hanging up his axe soon due to nerve issues in his hands, I figured what the hell. He is only doing a limited number of shows this year. After Royal Albert Hall in London and three shows at Madison Square Garden in NYC, Four shows at the Forum in LA is it.

We saw his show on Saturday and tonight is his final show of this limited run. He has no future dates scheduled. Jimmie Vaughn (Stevie Ray's older brother late of the Fabulous Thunderbirds) opened with a short slick set of his Texas jump blues. He was followed by a 40 minute set from Gary Clarke Junior which can best be described as over distorted psychedelic blues and R&B. He is a great guitar player but could stand to back off the fuzz a bit.
Before Clapton came on my wife, my son, and a friend of ours (who also had Eric on his bucket list) moved from our $250 seats to four unoccupied $500 seats where we remained unmolested for Eric's show!

Clapton walked onstage, waved to the crowed, picked up his guitar and played fantastic as he always does. He didn't run or jump around (never does) and he said nothing to the crowd beyond thank you (as usual). His band was tight and his vocals and guitar were crisp and clear. He only played two guitars, a black Fender strat and an acoustic, It appeared to be a Gibson but I couldn't quite make it out. All in all he showed off all his chops from Delta blues to wailing rock wha wha. I was glad I went. An hour and a half of the master, set list below.

Eric Clapton & His Band - September 16, 2017 The Forum Inglewood, CA
01. Somebody Knocking (JJ Cale cover)
02. Key To The Highway
03. Hoochie Coochie Man
04. I Shot The Sheriff
05. Driftin' (acoustic)
06. Lay Down Sally (acoustic)
07. Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out (acoustic)
08. Layla (acoustic)
09. Tears In Heaven (acoustic)
10. White Room
11. Wonderful Tonight
12. Crossroads
13. Little Queen Of Spades (Robert Johnson cover)
14. Cocaine
15. Before You Accuse Me Encore- with Jimmie Vaughan and Gary Clark Jr.
"In the 60's it was rock & roll, by the 70's they dropped the roll and called it rock, in the 80's MTV came along and it was more like professional wrestling." Tom Petty

Return to “Concert Feedback”