Eddie Harris Tenor Sax Extraordinare

This section is for sharing knowledge about lesser-known music from around the world. Post your reviews of your favorite artists, groups or genres here.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

weletthegoldfishgo
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Eddie Harris Tenor Sax Extraordinare

Post by weletthegoldfishgo » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:03 am

I've been seriously digging a new record I got from billypee recently. I can't wait to get more from this guy, too.

Eddie Harris ~ THE IN SOUND ~ on Atlantic SD1448.

At first I thought this was gonna be a typical hard bop record. During the first tune I was thinking this, and then Harris started hitting notes way outta the tenor sax register and into the soprano range. He did this some starting mid-way up until the end. That was interesting. Then the second tune is slow tempo and at some point Harris shifts it into a jazzy mode. I never thought I'd use that term to describe jazz, but that's what it was and it tickled me. And then the ultimate happened when the third tune kicked into high gear. HOLY SMOKES! This is some kinda playing right here, no doubt! It's a Cole Porter tune and the group starts it with ensemble playing like they're big banding the thing. Really sweet! Then the trumpet kicks in with a solo and then Harris and then the piano. Trumpet solo is really original sounding from Ray Codrington. Then this is the point where I had to grab the album cover to read the liner notes about this album which is something I don't usually do this early in the game. Harris's solo is absolutely one of my faves I've ever heard. THe liner notes even state that this must be his most fluid solo on record. Then I kinda got disgusted a little 'cause the piano solo came in and Harris had to take a breather. Piano was good enough and then the last bars back in ensemble fashion--and they are spectacular, especially from the drumming by Billy Higgins and trumpet accents from Codrington. And I must say the bassist, Ron Carter, has seen so many good gigs that I know he must be smitten to be there for this one.

Anyway, I can't go on too much more about side 2 or I'll be awake all night. It does open with a Harris original called CRYIN' BLUES and ends with another of his called FREEDOM JAZZ DANCE. Really a spectacular side as well, so all in all this is gonna be one of my faves for a looooong time.

Tom Dowd engineering here, too. I liked Tom's philosophy and character a lot.

WOOHOO!
The artist's life is the best life, if he can survive the first 40 years of it. --Thomas Hart Benton

JGH1
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

RE: Eddie Harris Tenor Sax Extraordinare

Post by JGH1 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:14 pm

'goldfish, you may want to check out the live "Swiss Movement" lp by Les McCann & Eddie Harris on Atlantic as well. IMO, it's one of Eddie Harris' finest performances.

OnTheRecord
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by OnTheRecord » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:55 pm

I recently picked up "Instant Death" and was impressed by it. I've only listened once, I'll have to give it another spin - you might want to check it out.

weletthegoldfishgo
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by weletthegoldfishgo » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:41 am

Thanks for the leads, boys. Nice to see you both here today. I've noted these titles and will check 'em out soon.
The artist's life is the best life, if he can survive the first 40 years of it. --Thomas Hart Benton

bommierock
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by bommierock » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:47 pm

got a few EH on order from Billy as well. Beastie Boys sampled him alot on Pauls Boutique and Check Ya head thats how i first heard him.

He da man

Leon

weletthegoldfishgo
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by weletthegoldfishgo » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:51 pm

bommierock wrote:got a few EH on order from Billy as well. He da man
Leon
How did I let those get by me and shipped outta the country? :)

GOOD JOB, LEON! WOOHOO!

Return to “International”