Finnish music

This section is for sharing knowledge about lesser-known music from around the world. Post your reviews of your favorite artists, groups or genres here.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

Takboleh
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by Takboleh » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:01 pm

Kimmo wrote: Where Being is more like concept, theme centered prog, Starpose and new line-up has a bit more easier approach, more poppy. But that does not make Starpose bad, i like it too - for example Colossus is great track!
I gave it a spin again today,Well it might have being poppy way back (1976) then but it sure don't sound that poppy today.I sure wish to get hold of "Being"!They're a good band.
Thanks,Kimmo good info and reviews

Sillypsybin
Level 2
Level 2

Anna Suukko Vain?

Post by Sillypsybin » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:08 pm

I've always been a huge fan of Wigwam ever since Tombstone Valentine first came out in the US.

But I've always been mystified by the song "Anna Suukko Vain". It's so radically different from everything else on the record. It doesn't even sound at all like the same band.

I actually really love the song, I get a kick out of it. Cheesy lounge music, I can't stop laughing every time I hear it. I'd love to know more about this....

I know some guy named Kirka is involved.... and I think it's Blues Section. That's all I know.

Is there anyone who knows more about this who can fill us all in on some details here?

I'd love to hear more songs from this era by whoever is in this line up, but it's been almost impossible to find any info, or recordings here in the USA.

Kimmo
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

RE: Anna Suukko Vain?

Post by Kimmo » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:43 pm

thanks, glad to hear my reviews are helpful and fun to follow!

fromphilly, i do not happen to have Hard And Horny original. For all to know, when album was released ( Wigwam´s 1st ) they got tight on budget, so the band mmembers agreed and told they will do the coves by themselves. And so they did - 400 pieces were done with ardboard pieces stapled together, each having unique cover. A bit later, album was releaed with "real" cover...

metro, happy to hear Nuclear Nightclub is spinning!

takboleh, as i compared Being to Starpose - album, i use the word poppy quite loosely. The bottom line is Being is more prog than Starpose - nevertheless, as said, each album is good - a little different as some members have changed.

Sillypsybin, i might be able to give insight to Wigwam´s personels and releases ...

when WIgwam had done their first album, the US producer Kim Fowley hear about the band and liked it so much he wanted to produce their second album. So, Tombstone Valentine was released as an 2nd album by Wigwam.
Mr Fowley pushed the Wigwam to international/US markets, so the album was released in US by Verve, and commpared to finnish version ( a single album ) this was double album with totally own coverart.
Other half of the US version holds the same tunes as finnish TV. Second part of US TV have tracks by Blues Section and Kirka, as you mention. What´s background to these, are that two Wigwam members, Jim Pembroke and ROnnie Österberg, were in Blues Section - thus the Blues Section tracks on that album. Kirka, had long and succesful solo career, so when he started, Blues Section played on his single. So the US Tombstone Valentine is at the time Wigwam added with their members earlier outputs in finland.

Kirka, he started as pop singer, but as the career went on and on, he has do lots of everything from hard rock to shlager... he has an interesting release from -72, where he is backed with lots of finnish jazz and prog musicians. Great album, i will do a review of it later on ...

i be happy to help anyone with questions about finnish bands and artists!

Sillypsybin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sillypsybin » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:48 pm

Thanks, Kimmo, that's great to know... I definitely want to hear more Finnish music, I'm going to have to find a good compilation to buy.

Kimmo
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by Kimmo » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:30 pm

my pleasure! i will get to what compilations might be interesting to find!

Kimmo
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by Kimmo » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:38 pm

about the time we dig out this old topic and continue ...

mostly so far i´ve been reviewing "older" stuff from finland, so i thought its good time to show up something new from here ... so here we go ...

Lemonator - At The Presence Of Great Beauty
Jäänsärkijä Records JS 002
release in finland 2006

Ripa Eskolin: guitar
Antti Karisalmi: bass
Kelly Ketonen: drums
Lasse Kurki: vocals + guitar

so what we have here? To my suprise, i was happy to see some finnish bands will release a vinyl format! THis album is a 6th release by this band, all previous albums been released on CD only. The Lemonator, you could discribe their style as an guitar/pop, power pop ... their music has lots of influences from 60´s... REM, Coldplay, Beatles ... influences come lots from british guitar bands ...
still i would not compare Lemonator to any other so straighly. Their music is melancholic, but not depressing. Beautiful melodies, and on contrast you have quite hard guitar - very interesting complication if asked from me!
Album started by "Introduction", a short 43 seconds violin piece, setting the mood. And then, 11 tracks follows ... myself i can´t find a bad tune from here, i really love this album.
I would be brave enough to say this is pop masterpiece album, and being released by some "big" name, it would be top-sales-album. A strong, own written, pop-oriented albumfull of good melancholicísh tunes!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CactusCowboy
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by CactusCowboy » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:14 pm

Kimmo,

Thanks for the review! I'm always interested in reading about new & unknown (to me) music.

Kimmo
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by Kimmo » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:05 am

thanks Dave, its my pleasure!

Takboleh
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by Takboleh » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:28 pm

Interesting,Thanks for the Review.Kimmo

Fireflite
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

The Sounds

Post by Fireflite » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:54 pm

Not much to review it's a decent surfy instrumental but I thought you might like to see some old style Finns via Japan. I picked this up a month or so ago on a street corner in Brooklyn -pretty clean too!

T
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “International”