Finnish music

This section is for sharing knowledge about lesser-known music from around the world. Post your reviews of your favorite artists, groups or genres here.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

SID
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by SID » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:07 pm

Kimmo wrote:SID, thanks! The 1st, Rock And Roll All Noght Long, yes? I wonder if i had review that but though i start with this one. I am going to review 1st later on, but wanted to start with this as this is their breakthrough album. The debut is really good too, yes, havin a bit more bluesy guitar licks ( for example in "Hideaway" ) ...

Yes,that is their 1st lp. I love those bluesy guitar licks ! 8)

Kimmo
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by Kimmo » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:03 pm

Yes,that is their 1st lp. I love those bluesy guitar licks !
me too! you know, their guitarist, Albert Järvinen ( theres been many other guitarist in the band too ) done well those blues and rock licks ... one of the best guitarplayers in finnish music scene. At some point, he was asked to play in UK´s Dr Feelgood, as well with Elvis Costello ...
Albert has done solo works, and after he left Hurriganes ( well, he left for a few years, and get vack to Hurriganes later on ...) he create a band called Royals - will do review of their in the future ( Royals played blues-based rock, and had a nice funky styles in between ...)

sadly, Albert has already moved to play in heavenly orchestra ... he died 1991 in UK, in a hotel same street where Jimi Hendrix meet his destiny ...Albert was a great guitarist.

Kimmo
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by Kimmo » Sat May 02, 2009 7:44 am

time to another review ...

Unisono - s/t
Hi-Hat HILP 106

drums - Reino Laine
bass - Pekka Pohjola
flute, saxes - Paroni Paakkunainen
eletric piano, synthesizers, organ - Olli Ahvenlahti
guitar - Nono Söderberg

now, i review one of the great group, which is not so well known even in finland. Now by genre we are talkin about jazz/fusion, you can find Unisono´s
sounds influenced by Miles Davis, Chick Corea, Weather Report.
the band was founded in -73, and till the time of recording this only album they did, there were some line changes among the players. The players who
done this recording are among the great talents in finish jazz-area; Pekka Pohjola had previous played with Wigwam. The group is really talented,
and professional musicians, which you can esily hear from the first track. The playing is very relaxed and moody.
All tracks are written and composed by the band.

I would recommend this to any who likes jazz/jazz fusion. Album is pretty rare in finland, price guide rounding it to 70 euros, but this is hard to find on sale at all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kimmo
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by Kimmo » Sat May 02, 2009 11:18 am

a couple finnish 45´s from sixties ...

Cay ja The Scaffolds - Girls / Jingle Bells Twist

Warner Brothers FIS 10103, released 1963

the debut 45 by this band, which released 4 singles and one EP during 1963 to 1964. The Scaffolds had release instrumental singles ala Shadows but this one
is the first with the singer, Cay Karlsson.
A-side, Girls, penned by C Karlsson, is nice, doo-wopish beat tune, B-side Jingle Bells Twist is, as title already can say, instrumental of an old christmas song.
Cay Karlsson went to army on 1964, an the band looked new singer, and eventually band broke in 1965.
From the Scaffolds, Cay Karlsson joined to another band, Roosters, and other members went to another bands, for example Scaffolds lead guitarist Harry Bergholm, wenr to Jormas ( Jormas was a famous band in mid-sixties finland, will do review by them later on ...)
the Cay ja The Scaffolds 45´s are quite tought to find. AS seen on picture, mine aint in greatest condition, but then again i have not come around another copy.
Value, in books says about 50 euros

heres link to finish site where you can see them in action ...

http://yle.fi/elavaarkisto/?s=s&g=8&ag=92&t=&a=6682

---------------
Jim And The Beatmakers - My Only One / The Truth
His Masters Voice 45-TJ 300, released in 1964

another band that not release lot; two 45´s , and the one here is the debut. Genre is beat/pop music, selfpenned songs on both sides. Later on mid-70´s, a-side My Only One was covered by Hurriganes, which was very succesful for them.
What makes this band and releases interesting in finnish collecting, are the members of the band; Jim & The Beatmakers had Ronnie Österberg on drums, who later went to Wigwam. Raul Wickström ( vocalist ) and Seppo Keurulainen ( lead guitar ) went to band hich soon became Jormas ...
value goes much as with the Scaffolds, price guide turns this to 50 euros ( their second 45 is a bit more rarer as My Only One was a "hit" ... )

heres the link to see them doing My Only One ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkZmJogu2Oc

----------------------------
as i wrote, both of these two bands had members which later played on Jormas. So these two bands have a nice piece of history on finnish musical map.
Both are quite rare in finland, and bookvalue is just numbers - both are musically very good and interesting, and their history is why these two are very good
finds! Hard to find, and as seen from pictures, the copies i have been able to find are not the greatest condition... both plays, anyway, good enough to satisfy ,,,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

metrognome
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by metrognome » Tue May 05, 2009 5:03 pm

Uni Sono sounds like it would be interesting. I don't suppose I'll be finding that one at my local flea market, however.

Kimmo
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by Kimmo » Sat May 09, 2009 9:40 am

metro, Unisono, i am pretty sure you would like it - as before, if i come around a duplicate i´ll let you know ...

Takboleh
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by Takboleh » Sat May 09, 2009 1:23 pm

metrognome wrote:Uni Sono sounds like it would be interesting.
Yes! Seconded.
I have seen "The Scaffolds" singles here.I'll get them the next time i see them.Thanks for reviews, Kimmo.

Kimmo
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by Kimmo » Sun May 10, 2009 3:01 pm

you´re welcome Takboleh! Id be very interested about those Scaffolds you would find there, as well if its same band i am in need to compliting their stuff!

Kimmo
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by Kimmo » Sat May 16, 2009 9:06 am

OK, another review on it´s way ...

Jormas - S/T
His Master´s Voice HMV YDLP 1020
1966 Finland

re-issued 1988 by Fennica Records ( FRLP 88001 )

original books 120 €, re-issue about 20 €

here´s the band i already mentioned in previous reviews, Jormas. The band started in 1965, after a few members from previous beat/pop-groups get together.
this is pop group, which mixed lots of different styles, pop, beat, rock...i would call this very much a garage band. They did singin in both, finnish and english, doing lots of covers like God Only Knows ( finnish translation Taivas Vain Tietää ), California Dreamin, Locomotion, Mr Tambourine Man, and some own written material Day´s , Nights.

the band included Pepe Willberg on guitar/vocals, high toned vocalist who make later a succesful solo career. The band had strengh in doing vocal harmony´s,
especially on moody tracks, but the r&b influences are well there too.
the band released two LP´s, this one being debut - the second, Sincerily, is as scarce to find as this one.

the band has strong foot in finnish pop music history, being one of the leading groups at its time.

at the time, in finland, the amount of records pressed was not that lot. I dont know the exact numbers, but assumed in mid-sixties pressing in numbers were few thousand, tops. To find one, especially not beaten copy, is not easy. The Fennica Records re-issued album in -88, makin it cover art similar as in originla one, only difference they have Fennica- logo on front undeer the HMV - logo ...

another piece of finnish music history - this time we are sailing on beat/garage - mood.
In finnish scale of rare records, this one is rare.

Kimmo
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by Kimmo » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:11 pm

been silent here, so, it´s about the time for a new review ...

Wigwam - Being
Love Records LRLP 92
gatefold, original with 2 inserts ( stampled booklet + lyric booklet )

re-issued few times with laminated cover ( 1977/78?) and 80´s ...

OK, this is 4th relase by the Wigwam, maybe one of the bets known groups internationaly from finland, among Tasavallan Presidentti, they represent a very good offer to prog music world. Wigwam was created in late 60´s,
and this release, is kept as an classic. This album is maybe the most progish they did. This one was made withfollowing members ...

Jim Pembroke - vocals, organ
Pekka Pohjola - bass, violin
Jukka Gustavsson - piano, keyboards, vocals
Ronnie Österberg - drums

this was last release by this group, as there was some line-up chances coming.
to the "Being" ... it takes a lot of time and effort to finaly get the album done and ready. Pembroke and Pohjola were also busy doing their solo material and albums, and Jukka Gustavsson wanted "Being" to come as perfect as they could, from composing to vocals. The album is mostly wrote and composed by Gustavsson, as already said, couple members did their own material to be released in solo albums.
From spring 73, the album finaly got released in february 74. The result,is considerably good enough to be compared with another international prog-releases at the time. Musically as well the lyrically, this is said to be Wigwam as it´s best. And listening the album, you could agree. The lyrics told about political ideologies,as well about the "being" a human... humanismn. Musically there were clever compositions, the playing is very talented.
Musically album chanves from harder, and angst/dark feelings to lighter, moody and beautiful tunes.
Might take a couple spins to really get into the album and all it´s little details within the songs - but once bitten by it, you always come back to it, and it always sounds as fresh as new. Time has not make it old.

after it was relases, the band started to break from this form, Gustavsson and Pohjola leave the group, but Wigwam was going on, with new members, and they had more good albums to come ... later on mmore of those - this review is about one of ht egreatest prog albums from finland, Wigwam´s Being.
If i could suggest some album from progressive genre by finnish band, this is absolutely on of the top 3.
Values, for original with both booklets, guide gives about 40 euros - but i can tell the record shops would ask more of it. Haven´t seen copies, even re-issues around...

Return to “International”