Metrognome's Prog Picks

This section is for sharing knowledge about lesser-known music from around the world. Post your reviews of your favorite artists, groups or genres here.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

metrognome
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by metrognome » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:56 am

Ha! The hackers didn't delete this thread???

I REALLY owe you guys a review. I have a specific prog rarity that I have been meaning to review for months, but I just haven't had the time to do it.

So here's a quickie:

Ambrosia
Ambrosia
20th Century Records
T-434

When I was a kid, these guys were synonomous with mushy late '70s soft rock. 25 years later, and I don't remember what that mushy song was that I hated so much, and Dkurtis has been urging people here to buy this record for years. So I did, and I'm quite pleased to report that I won't be sending him the bill for a refund.

Not every song on this debut record is prog rock in my book, but "Nice, Nice, Very Nice!," "Time Waits for No One" and "Mama Frog" are surprisingly good examples of good American prog rock (a rare thing). Super clean vocal harmonies (all four members sing very well) and short, complex songs with crack musicianship and thoughtful, literary lyrics make this album worth picking up for cheap at your local record store or thirft shop.

CactusCowboy
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by CactusCowboy » Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:01 am

Agreed, it's a good LP. Nice to see this thread bumped up. I love Prog Rock.

metrognome
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by metrognome » Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:11 am

Sam, I just want you to know that you reminded me to buy the Quatermass LP on Ebay just now. There has been a copy on there for about 2 months at 7.99 buy it now. I think the only reason it didnt'tsell was that it was spelled incorrectly! Thanks also to chewy to pointing it out to me.

Nitro
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by Nitro » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:22 am

Ambrosia's first LP is really good Metro. I can't believe you just got it.
"Excuse me, but who's the one with a big blinky "Best Butt" sign hanging on the front of their house with a pole inside???"- kat1370

to make that long link short "[url=" (no quotes) paste link, follow with ]my link [/url]"

ShadySam
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by ShadySam » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:47 pm

metrognome wrote:Sam, I just want you to know that you reminded me to buy the Quatermass LP on Ebay just now. There has been a copy on there for about 2 months at 7.99 buy it now. I think the only reason it didnt'tsell was that it was spelled incorrectly! Thanks also to chewy to pointing it out to me.
You need this- I'll snag you the next clean copy I find (whenever that day rolls around)...
Another vinyl scenario, where it was once everywhere, but no one paid any heed to it...

metrognome
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by metrognome » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:09 pm

Not sure I understand your post sam. I bought the Quatermass. Apparently 7.99 is a pretty great price, even for a US issue.

ShadySam
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by ShadySam » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:48 pm

Oh, my bad bro (too much sun/suds yesterday- heatwave city has altered my thought
processes)!! Glad you finally snagged this at the right price-
now you must kindly extend a review of your favorite tracks! cool score- kudos!! 8) 8)

metrognome
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by metrognome » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:55 pm

ShadySam wrote: now you must kindly extend a review of your favorite tracks! cool score- kudos!! 8) 8)
I'll pencil it in my schedule for sometime in October of 2009. :wink:

What do you guys think of later Ambrosia LPs? Any good? I see Life Beyond LA everywhere.

ChadFromCanada
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by ChadFromCanada » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:53 pm

metrognome wrote:
What do you guys think of later Ambrosia LPs? Any good? I see Life Beyond LA everywhere.
I only listened to it once. It wasn't memorable.
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

ShadySam
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by ShadySam » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:56 pm

metrognome wrote:I'll pencil it in my schedule for sometime in October of 2009
All my ears will haunt me with is 'Holdin' On To Yesterday'... wiseguy :lol: :lol:

Return to “International”