Info requested about Pye's pressing plant in Mitcham

What are these weird markings on the inside edge of my record next to the label and what do they mean?

Moderator: Guild Moderators

sebfact
Level 2
Level 2

Info requested about Pye's pressing plant in Mitcham

Post by sebfact » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:26 am

I wonder if someone has information about the Pye Records vinyl pressing plant in Mitcham, Surrey.
Tranco or Pye pressings (pre 1980) can be identified by certain symbols in the matrix etchings, such as a diamond, a triangle, a heart, a star, or a Pi symbol.

There is some confusion about the name of the plant though. At some point it seems to have been called Tranco or Tranco Ltd., as found on some records. Then again you can find "Tranco, the manufacturing division of Pye Records (Sales) Ltd." or simply the "Tranco factory" or even the "Mitcham Factory" only. And, adding to the confusion, some Pye records show "Manufactured by Pye Records (Sales) Ltd."
My questions:
Was Tranco the official name of the pressing plant in Mitcham?
If yes, from when and until when?
If not, what was the official name then?
Was it indeed a Limited company or rather a division of Pye Records (Sales) Ltd.?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Best, Seb

jimboo
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

RE: Info requested about Pye

Post by jimboo » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:00 pm

Might get some info on an Elton John sight, Tranco pressed the economy Avenue label, Elton did session work for them.
another link Tranco until 1980
http://www.discogs.com/label/Tranco+Limited

sebfact
Level 2
Level 2

RE: Info requested about Pye

Post by sebfact » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:13 pm

That Discogs profile was actually written by me :-)
But after diving deeper into the matter, I discovered that it isn't all that smile and sunshine with Pye and Tranco.
While I feel that Tranco was the name used for the plant, it isn't always credited (as said, often you'll find "Pressed by Pye Records (Sales) Ltd.").
Knowing the exact role of Tranco in that company conundrum would be very helpful...
Unfortunately, eye witnesses are rarely found anymore, at least on the 'Net.

jimboo
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by jimboo » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:47 pm

Yep, seems to be some joint venture with Damont, Dave Miller, the guy who gave us Funky Junction (Phil Lynott doing session work).
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=REUE ... 22&f=false

Return to “Matrix Numbers”