Beatles LP

What are these weird markings on the inside edge of my record next to the label and what do they mean?

Moderator: Guild Moderators

edward51
Level 1
Level 1

Beatles LP

Post by edward51 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:50 am

scratched on the trail off of this VJ LP there is a Date " 6-29-63" .
was this scratch at production or transferred from the master plate?

anthonyvp
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

RE: Beatles LP

Post by anthonyvp » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:43 am

edward51
Level 1
Level 1

Post by edward51 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:49 pm

I have been to the site "eskimo.com" very informative but does not answer my question.
The Date " 6-29-63" hand scratched i the trai off is no part of the normal codes or dates that are stamped or hand scratched in the LPs deadwax , trail off area
I have 3 of these LPs and only one has this date hand scratched in the trail off I would like to know if this "date" adds to the value or not to the record if any one has any info please let me know I am going to be selling my collection soon add need this info.

anthonyvp
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by anthonyvp » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:17 pm

edward51
Level 1
Level 1

Re: RE: Beatles LP

Post by edward51 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:34 pm

alisondt
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Beatles LP

Post by alisondt » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:42 am

I had this very same issue! Can someone confirm?

I got mine off http://thebeatlesposters.com ebay store so i'm sure its legit but its still strange.

rooster
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Re: Beatles LP

Post by rooster » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:12 pm

Welcome to the Record Collectors Guild, alisondt. Glad to have you aboard. It seems that the above website that anthonyvp refers us to confirms the pressing is legitimate. Beatles records can be a crazy labyrinth of versions, pressings, record manufacturing plant variations and so on. I generally assume other people know more about it than I do, so I accept what the website says. It would seem to indicate that the etched in dates (which varies by pressing) is an indication of pressing plant variations. So, the 6-29-63 date is from the monarch pressing plant. As to the "value" question, I not sure one would be more valuable than than the other. Perhaps for a completist who needs a specific pressing one might be worth more than another. Perhaps, another more informed member will have better info for you.

rooster
While the information he conveyed was interesting Rooster's communication skills need improvement. - Global_Dog_Productions

Return to “Matrix Numbers”