Label Variations To Look For

How to tell if your record is an original, reissued or import copy as well as info about misprinted record labels. Also includes info about colored vinyl and picture discs.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

wand143
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Label Variations To Look For

Post by wand143 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:59 am

I'm in the process of reorganizing my collection (sorry, no reductions...) and as I'm going through it I'm mentally taking notes of some of the label variations I have to keep the collection interesting. A few "first pressings" some people may not know about include:
Barry Mann - Who Put The Bomp (ABC-Paramount) - no "gold globe" on the left side of the label
The Cryan Shames - Sugar And Spice (Destination) - light blue label
Thurston Harris - Little Bitty Pretty One (Aladdin) - first pressing mentions artist "And The Sharps"
This is just a couple off the top of my head. If anyone has more to add, feel free to do so. I'll have more as I weed through the collection.
"That big ol' hole, little bitty record...nobody's gonna buy that!" - Carl Perkins, 1956

geo58000
Level 5
Level 5

RE: Label Variations To Look For

Post by geo58000 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:38 pm

Initial copies of Wilbert Harrison's "Let's Work Together" on a red or orange Sue label credit " Wilbert Harrison One Man Band."
Subsequent black label or rainbow labels omit "One Man Band."

wand143
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

RE: Label Variations To Look For

Post by wand143 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:05 pm

The Rays - Silhouettes - all-yellow or all-dark-blue label - also has the "S-100" secondary catalog number - never figured out if this was a first or second press. I have the dark blue and it's the only one I've seen so far - the yellow turns up on occasion.
"That big ol' hole, little bitty record...nobody's gonna buy that!" - Carl Perkins, 1956

namralos
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by namralos » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:50 pm

The original XYZ pressing of "Silhouettes" has the S-100 and S-101 matrix numbers. These were probably intended for all XYZ singles at the time. Single X-104 has the matrixing system changed to X-104-G and X-104-H, and single X-105 has X-105 in the matrix, followed by the first letter of the title song.

The copies of the Cameo single that I have seen with the matrix numbers copied onto the label from XYZ were pressed by Columbia Records, who had also pressed some copies of the XYZ single. I suspect that they just kept the label copy the same as what they had used before.

wand143
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by wand143 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:38 am

That'd be my guess, too, and my blue label copy also has a Columbia master number on it.

webkrawlerr
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Label Variations To Look For

Post by webkrawlerr » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:07 am

wand143 wrote:I'm in the process of reorganizing my collection (sorry, no reductions...) and as I'm going through it I'm mentally taking notes of some of the label variations I have to keep the collection interesting. A few "first pressings" some people may not know about include:
Barry Mann - Who Put The Bomp (ABC-Paramount) - no "gold globe" on the left side of the label
I have this version of Who Put The Bomp -
http://clzimages.com/music/users/large/ ... heBomp.jpg

I always thought of it as a promo but unsure.

wand143
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

RE: Re: Label Variations To Look For

Post by wand143 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:38 am

That's a "maybe", web - I have seen stock ABC-Paramount labels in white; my aunt's collection (which I got from her years ago) included an Impressions on ABC on a white label with no "not for sale" markings.

Return to “Label Variations”