FAQ: Test Pressings.

How to tell if your record is an original, reissued or import copy as well as info about misprinted record labels. Also includes info about colored vinyl and picture discs.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

annaloog
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by annaloog » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:10 pm

Ernie11 wrote:... I am hoping that this item displayed here is truly a test pressing....
:? Do you have any reason to doubt what you see?

FWIW, the "Midsummer Night's Dream" LP is mentioned in the 7 Jun 1952 issue of Billboard, p. 38. The catalog nos. referenced on the "Show Boat" side (ML 4514, MM 1026, A-1026) are for the LP, 78-rpm album, and 45-rpm set releases, respectively.

Northwinds
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by Northwinds » Tue May 25, 2010 8:19 pm

I collect Metal TP's and they can be quite pricey. The appeal to me is the original mix, sometimes it is changed for regular production or songs are deleted that do not make it to the final pressing configuration

The ones to avoid in my opinion are hte blank white label versions, they are easily faked. Most of mine are on the Rainbo label out of CA. They did a lot of TP's for bands waiting to be signed by major labels. Some private TP's are quite valuable also, among the highest valued are the OPM pressings out of Georgia

Ronnie
Level 2
Level 2

Test Pressings

Post by Ronnie » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:10 am

I have quite a few TPs and on enquiring of the original record company in this case Festival Records I was informed that the record companies often do mutiple versions for feedback from the public. In my case a specific record by INXS "I send a message"
was pressed several times for this reason and eventually the record company decided on a particular mix as the one which was the released on their commercially released album.
RO 8)

sandwich71
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sandwich71 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:30 am

I own a TP for Rush "Moving Pictures". It'd grade VG++ both visual and play.

This was their signature Lp and ex rare. When it came up on Ebay, the seller was
offering a buy-it-now or bid. I immediately bought it as I knew it would have auctioned for hundreds. One more came up a few weeks later and went for $500!

These pressings were suppose to be thrown away after playing, so any TP is extremely
rare and collectable.

newer99
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by newer99 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:48 pm

I buy any blank test pressings - just in case. I was pleasantly surprised to get $393 for this Mike Oldfield test pressing - bought in a box of acetates and test pressings off ebay for $50 but picked up as the seller was in the next town.

I still have a bunch of them, some I still have not identified.

http://www.popsike.com/MIKE-OLDFIELD-FR ... 76738.html

Return to “Label Variations”