FAQ: Test Pressings.

How to tell if your record is an original, reissued or import copy as well as info about misprinted record labels. Also includes info about colored vinyl and picture discs.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

RidinTheWind
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

RE: Test Pressings

Post by RidinTheWind » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:11 pm

I know of one Frank Sinatra test pressing that is supposed to be worth in the $1,000 range.
Anyone who thinks he has a foolproof plan hasn't counted on the ingenuity of fools.

annaloog
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Re: RE: Test Pressings

Post by annaloog » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:09 pm

metrognome wrote:Yes! Test pressings are pretty collectible.
They can be, depending on artist. Collectibility is directly proportional to demand.

crackerjack
Level 5
Level 5

RE: Re: RE: Test Pressings

Post by crackerjack » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:07 am

Some are valuable and some are not like the above it depends on the artist,how many were made etc pretty much depends on demand,some test pressings have the tracks in a different order or tracks that were ommited from the finished product.
I have a few the most collectable would be a Sore Throat-Never Mind The Napalm test press complete with banned track there were 40 made and most were destroyed so the story goes.

RE: Re: RE: Test Pressings

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:56 am

I found one a few months ago that is former 3 Dog Night musicians and others... and
the disc included a letter from BJ Management (Burt Jacobs, Steppenwolf and 3 DogNite Manager) promoting the band.

No idea about values...

annaloog
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Re: RE: Re: RE: Test Pressings

Post by annaloog » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:24 pm

78s wrote:I found one a few months ago that is former 3 Dog Night musicians and others....
This appears to be a test pressing for Columbia 3-10326. From what little info. I'm able to glean from a web search, "Why Can't You Be Mine" is the plug side; retail copies have "Fool Hard E." as the B-side.

zenbone
Level 4
Level 4

thoughts on test pressings?

Post by zenbone » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:56 pm

i was wondering if anyone has any opinions or thoughts on "test pressing" vinyl. I have a very extensive collection of my favorite group and there is a test pressing out there for sale. i already have all their vinyl (except for 1 extremely rare one (>.<) ) and usually pick up the color variants for each but i have not gotten any test pressings and was really not sure if they had any worth or carried any real value. of course it would be nice to include in my collection but the price is a little high. just not sure.
thoughts anyone?

SID
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by SID » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:01 pm

For a collector of a certain group,a complete collection should have test pressings. I like them.They are harder to find and sometimes cost alot more.

Okay...so who is the group ?

CTcollector
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by CTcollector » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:08 pm

For me, test pressings are a fun oddity, and well worth picking-up - at the right price . . . however, if a completest is REALLY looking for a rarity of any particular group/album, I would be much more likely to put a few extra bucks on an acetate.

wand143
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by wand143 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:09 pm

Same here - I've even found test pressings among radio station stock (did labels send these in place of promos sometimes?). Acetates are OK if you know you're getting sometihing like alternates takes or mixes but their fragile nature don't allow much in repeated plays.
"That big ol' hole, little bitty record...nobody's gonna buy that!" - Carl Perkins, 1956

kaos01
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by kaos01 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:17 pm

In the case of either test presses or acetates, it is always best to know the product AND the vendor.

There are a couple of people on eBay that are selling 'test presses' which are nothing more than the legit disc with a pre-fab 'test pressing' label glued over the original, then stuffed into a plain white jacket. These guys were making a killing.

Acetates are always a treat, but bear in mind that many acetates are nothing more than home recordings made of a legit disc. These were not made to defraud anyone; they were made for personal use...but if you and/or the vendor don't know that's the case, then you've got a whole lotta nuthin' at a premium price. An example of this was found on eBay a few months back as a vendor was selling a slew of Robert Johnson acetates.
".....call it "Northern Soul" and you might get 100 for a Pat Boone record too!!!! "....ks45

.......this night wounds time.

Return to “Label Variations”