Did Capitol Use "West Coast" Pressings As Promos?

This forum has information about vinyl designated for "promotional" or "radio" use only.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

wand143
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Did Capitol Use "West Coast" Pressings As Promos?

Post by wand143 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:58 am

Almost every oddball 45 on the Capitol label - ones which seem most likely to be non-hit - from the early-to-mid 1960s seem to be the thicker print "West Coast" pressing of the stock label, and even my copy of "Little Saint Nick" - which came out of a known radio library - was also a "Westie". To add to the mystery, I recently acquired a full Capitol BOX of 45s - although the box contained more "Westies" - again, all stock copies - the catalog number on the box itself was "7PRO...". Hmm! Since white label promos are either scarce or may not exist from this time frame, did they just use stock label pressings as promos?
"That big ol' hole, little bitty record...nobody's gonna buy that!" - Carl Perkins, 1956

stephenjaye
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Re: Did Capitol Use "West Coast" Pressings As Prom

Post by stephenjaye » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:40 pm

I've seen several Capitol promos pressed on a light green label; The Stone Poneys' "Different Drum" comes to mind. IIRC it had a "P" prefix to the rekkid # and was labeled a promo. Perhaps Capitol used both methods.

annaloog
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

RE: Re: Did Capitol Use "West Coast" Pressings As

Post by annaloog » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:18 pm

US Capitol promo-label singles (many colors, not all white labels) that I have seen were pressed at Scranton in the 1950s. By the 1960s all Capitol singles that I have come across were pressed at the Los Angeles factory.

elvisluvs
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by elvisluvs » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:04 am

Is there an easy tell for each plant? Ty-m

annaloog
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by annaloog » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:43 pm

elvisluvs
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by elvisluvs » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:36 am

Pretty clear now Annaloog- thanks again.

wand143
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Re: RE: Re: Did Capitol Use "West Coast" Pressings

Post by wand143 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:36 am

annaloog wrote:US Capitol promo-label singles (many colors, not all white labels) that I have seen were pressed at Scranton in the 1950s. By the 1960s all Capitol singles that I have come across were pressed at the Los Angeles factory.
By "Capitol singles" are you referring to just promos or all Capitol singles in general? Because my original point was that it seems like there's a "break" in the time that Capitol was using true "promotional copy - not for sale" pressings, sometime between 1963 (my guess - the white label with blue print) and 1967 or so (greenish-yellow with black print) and that I had theorized they used stock "West Coast" pressings as promos to send to radio stations.
"That big ol' hole, little bitty record...nobody's gonna buy that!" - Carl Perkins, 1956

Return to “Promotional Records”