Motown Promo 45's question

This forum has information about vinyl designated for "promotional" or "radio" use only.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

newer99
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by newer99 » Fri May 31, 2013 7:28 pm

Not saying it is for a fact just offering a possible explanation, that is why I put a question mark?

Also, the Motown map promo's are the best looking by far

hrtshpdbox
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by hrtshpdbox » Fri May 31, 2013 7:44 pm

newer99 wrote:Not saying it is for a fact just offering a possible explanation, that is why I put a question mark?
I'm not sure, either, about the origin of the stamp. Could be "real", I was just enturing a guess.
newer99 wrote: Also, the Motown map promo's are the best looking by far
No question about that, they're sharp.

annaloog
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by annaloog » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:59 am

hrtshpdbox wrote:I doubt it; anyone could have put that stamp there. There's no reason to believe it was actually remastered, or has increased clarity (except to the extent that a promo is perhaps pressed a little more carefully). It looks just like Fastphilly's copy (which I'd personally rather have than one with a dubious label stamp).
The "Remastered Version" text on the popsike example appears to have been printed on the label with a typewriter rather than stamped (as with a rubber stamp). If that is the case, the label would have had to go through the typewriter before it was applied to the disk. Still, as you said, it's no reason to believe that particular copy was actually remastered.

-------------------------
Edit: photo added
Attachments
200923826219.jpg
Motown M-1076 (promo)
New text added by typewriter?
200923826219.jpg (52.27 KiB) Viewed 1085 times
Last edited by annaloog on Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hrtshpdbox
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by hrtshpdbox » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:28 am

annaloog wrote:]The "Remastered Version" text on the popsike example appears to have been printed on the label with a typewriter rather than stamped (as with a rubber stamp).
That's a good point, it does look like type. And, now that I look at it again I'm noticing that "New! New! New!" is also printed about the "remastered" line. The whole thing seems an odd, and probably inaccurate, message for Motown to be putting on just some of the promo's for this Four Tops record - but maybe they did, and maybe that's why it fetches a premium after all (as Newer suggested).

stephenjaye
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by stephenjaye » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:34 pm

The deadwax etching/stamping should give a clue as to whether the Four Tops 45 was re-mastered.

Fastphilly
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fastphilly » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:39 am

stephenjaye wrote:The deadwax etching/stamping should give a clue as to whether the Four Tops 45 was re-mastered.
Runout info for A side: HLG -136308 (etched) / S4KM-6876-1(machine stamped)

The blank side has a plain white label that says in bold text:

DO NOT PLAY THIS SIDE (12 O'Clock position)
THIS IS A SILENT GROOVE TO IMPROVE THE MOLDING OF YOUR PRESSING (6 O'clock position)

SILENT GROOVE (machine stamped on dead wax)

annaloog
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by annaloog » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:17 pm

Fastphilly wrote:Runout info for A side: HLG -136308 (etched) / S4KM-6876-1(machine stamped) ....
Presumably, RCA mfd. the master disk*, plates and pressing from Motown's tape master. I don't see anything here beyond the ordinary.

-------------------------
* Had the prefix been S5KM, the master disk would have been cut elsewhere than RCA's studios.

wand143
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by wand143 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:30 pm

wand143 wrote:The one-sided ones are definitely tougher to find. On a similar note, I've encountered Motown-related labels (mostly Gordy) with the same song on both sides but the labels are standard stock labels. At first I thought they were just mispressings of just the labels alone, but I played 'em through and...yup, same song both sides. I've noticed this on releases from approximately 1966.
Not meaning to toot one of my old horns here, but does anyone have the lowdown on this: Did Motown use stock labels on promos with the same song on both sides? I have a Marvin Gaye single and an Isley Bros. single where this is the case.
"That big ol' hole, little bitty record...nobody's gonna buy that!" - Carl Perkins, 1956

Return to “Promotional Records”