Motown Promo 45's question

This forum has information about vinyl designated for "promotional" or "radio" use only.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

Fastphilly
Level 4
Level 4

Motown Promo 45's question

Post by Fastphilly » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:26 am

Hi,

I have three Motown promo 45's and for some reason they are one sided with a blank label and nothing cut on the flipside. The three records are all white label promos

1. Four Tops - I Can't Help Myself (vinyl pressing)
2. Supremes - Back In my Arms Again (vinyl pressing)
3. Jackson 5 - The Love You Save (polystyrene)

I have many Motown promo 45's from this era and most have the same song on both sides or a B side that mirrors the retail release.

Any idea as to why these are one sided issues?
Attachments
four top final.jpg
here is one of the 45s in question.
four top final.jpg (19.4 KiB) Viewed 1234 times

mackdaddyg
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

RE: Motown Promo 45

Post by mackdaddyg » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:16 pm

I have a couple of those as well. My guess is they wanted to make sure the correct side got airplay.

sun-rocker
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by sun-rocker » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:03 pm

I have a John Lee Hooker promo on Chess (late 60's) - on the flipside you hear only a "beeep" tone :lol:

This was very common with promos - the companys don't wan't that the DJ played the wrong side, so they made one sided promos or promos with the same song on both sides.

hrtshpdbox
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by hrtshpdbox » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:54 pm

I was just talking about that (six years ago):

http://recordcollectorsguild.org/index. ... ank+motown

wand143
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by wand143 » Tue May 28, 2013 4:09 pm

The one-sided ones are definitely tougher to find. On a similar note, I've encountered Motown-related labels (mostly Gordy) with the same song on both sides but the labels are standard stock labels. At first I thought they were just mispressings of just the labels alone, but I played 'em through and...yup, same song both sides. I've noticed this on releases from approximately 1966.
"That big ol' hole, little bitty record...nobody's gonna buy that!" - Carl Perkins, 1956

WOF
Level 4
Level 4

Post by WOF » Fri May 31, 2013 3:00 am

If the one-siders are harder to find, does anyone have an estimate as to how their value compares to a regular issue or a same-sided promo?

hrtshpdbox
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by hrtshpdbox » Fri May 31, 2013 10:43 am

WOF wrote:If the one-siders are harder to find, does anyone have an estimate as to how their value compares to a regular issue or a same-sided promo?
The Four Tops pictured in the top post went for 27 dollars:
http://www.popsike.com/MOTOWN-ONESIDED- ... 26219.html

I'd guess that a regular copy is worth about three dollars in nice shape.

newer99
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by newer99 » Fri May 31, 2013 2:20 pm

I think the interest in the white label for $27 would be down to the info stamped on it?

I know Motown collectors in the UK and Europe who would be interested in anything outside the normal pressings or promos and think this fits the bill.

Personally I chase whjite label promo's with both the A and B sides on them. Much harder to get after maybe '68/'69 so I have to make do with the same both sides.

hrtshpdbox
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by hrtshpdbox » Fri May 31, 2013 3:27 pm

newer99 wrote:I think the interest in the white label for $27 would be down to the info stamped on it?
I doubt it; anyone could have put that stamp there. There's no reason to believe it was actually remastered, or has increased clarity (except to the extent that a promo is perhaps pressed a little more carefully). It looks just like Fastphilly's copy (which I'd personally rather have than one with a dubious label stamp).

mackdaddyg
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by mackdaddyg » Fri May 31, 2013 4:31 pm

hrtshpdbox wrote:
newer99 wrote:I think the interest in the white label for $27 would be down to the info stamped on it?
I doubt it; anyone could have put that stamp there. There's no reason to believe it was actually remastered, or has increased clarity (except to the extent that a promo is perhaps pressed a little more carefully). It looks just like Fastphilly's copy (which I'd personally rather have than one with a dubious label stamp).
I agree. I'm not an expert by any means, but I've never seen a stamp like that before (although I guess anything's possible).

Return to “Promotional Records”