Worst "Edited Version" Ever

This forum has information about vinyl designated for "promotional" or "radio" use only.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

wand143
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by wand143 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:34 pm

Yeah, after you've heard the LP version, you can never listen to the 45 version again. It's like driving 55 over speed bumps.
While it's more clever than practical, there's a 51-second version of The Big Bopper's "Chantilly Lace" on a promo EP from Mercury. Several different versions of these promos exist (I have three) - I'm guessing the one-minute (or less) versions of these songs were "teasers" used between station breaks or something,
"That big ol' hole, little bitty record...nobody's gonna buy that!" - Carl Perkins, 1956

StephenMacLeod
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by StephenMacLeod » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:09 pm

Another one is the edit of Do You Feel Like We Do-Peter Frampton.

wand143
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by wand143 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:24 pm

Recently got a fourth in the "Disc Jockey Sixty Second" sampler series on Mercury - this one contained a terrible :59 edit of "The Stroll" by The Diamonds - usually their edits are pretty smooth, but this one was really badly done.
"That big ol' hole, little bitty record...nobody's gonna buy that!" - Carl Perkins, 1956

produqt17
Level 2
Level 2

Post by produqt17 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:43 pm

I don't know why, but I had a friend who had a record that was for radio use of "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" and I thought it was horrid because the original song is so long they have to cut the song down big time. I think a lot of the psychedelic rock that got edited for radio use that had long trippy guitar solos and such is bad.

mackdaddyg
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by mackdaddyg » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:56 pm

produqt17 wrote:I don't know why, but I had a friend who had a record that was for radio use of "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" and I thought it was horrid because the original song is so long they have to cut the song down big time. I think a lot of the psychedelic rock that got edited for radio use that had long trippy guitar solos and such is bad.
What's worse is you can tell where the edit was made, because you can hear the tempo change. I never noticed that they were playing the song a little faster near the end until I heard the 45 version.

HamYardie
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by HamYardie » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:48 am

Few folks are aware that the hit 45 version of The Stylistics' "Rock 'N' Roll Baby" contains one mighty edit, which is ever so obvious when you've heard the full length version on the LP. Not everyone's cup of tea I'm sure, but one of my many favourites.

StephenMacLeod
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by StephenMacLeod » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:54 am

I wouldn`t call it the worst edit in the world-but,Listen To The Music-Doobie Brothers,the long intro is cut off and the song is sped up.At least on the Canadian copy.

chewy
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by chewy » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:16 am

StephenMacLeod wrote:Another one is the edit of Do You Feel Like We Do-Peter Frampton.
That would be a great edit to hear.I am so sick of that song.
Stay indoors
Beneath the floors
Talk with neighbours only.
The games you play
Make people say
You're either weird or lonely

At The Chime Of A City Clock-Nick Drake
http://kurttherecordcollector.blogspot.com/

ShadySam
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by ShadySam » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:12 pm

LMAO, that & 'Freebird', uggghh

wand143
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by wand143 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:33 pm

If you're not too crazy about all that stuff in between, there is a 3:12 version of "Whole Lotta Love" by Led Zeppelin - it's not bad, but it's pretty abrupt after you've heard the 5:33 version. I have it on an Atlantic compilation album.

Return to “Promotional Records”