Another large collection for sale - questions

Tips and advice on buying and selling vinyl. Please use the <B>Records</B> forum to post your records for sale, or the <B>Your Wants</B> forum for records you are looking for.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

billl
Level 1
Level 1

Another large collection for sale - questions

Post by billl » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:45 am

Just like quite a few others on this forum, I have a large collection of LPs, over 2,000, for sale. Most are in very good shape, I treated them well and used a DiscWasher and anti-static zapper often. Most of the covers are in good to excellent condition.

A lot of rock and jazz (often obscure) with a bit of classical. I am looking for a good price but I don't think I am ready to sell them one or a few at a time. From reading other responses, sounds like I should be looking to sell them by genre (makes sense).

Here are my questions:
  • What is the best way to find buyers? Craigslist? Somewhere else?
  • How do I generate a ballpark value for it?
  • Typically, will a seller ask me what I want, or do they make an offer?
  • Any other hints to help me arrive at a price that is fair to me and the buyer(s)?
FYI, I am located in Madison, Wisconsin, USA.

Thanks in advance.

-Bill

CactusCowboy
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Re: Another large collection for sale - questions

Post by CactusCowboy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:47 pm

billl wrote:
Here are my questions:
  • What is the best way to find buyers? Craigslist? Somewhere else?
  • How do I generate a ballpark value for it?
  • Typically, will a seller ask me what I want, or do they make an offer?
  • Any other hints to help me arrive at a price that is fair to me and the buyer(s)?
-Bill
Use Craigslist, Ebay, Discogs, and also consider posting in the RCG "Records" forum to attract potential buyers.

If you split the collection by genre (Rock, Jazz, Classical) and sell three big lots, you'll be looking at 'wholesale' values rather than top dollar 'retail.'

I've bought a number of similar sized collections, and from a buyer's perspective, a few comments. "Ballpark value" will depend on rarity & collectability of titles as well as condition. My routine is to look at a collection and if interested in buying it, I will then ask the seller what their desired price is. (Response is often "I dunno what they're worth, make me an offer.") :roll: :lol: From this point on, it's a matter of negotiation, hopefully arriving at a price that is fair to buyer and seller.

Best of luck in selling the collection.

Return to “Buying and Selling Questions”