How Much Is Your Collection Really Worth?

Tips and advice on buying and selling vinyl. Please use the <B>Records</B> forum to post your records for sale, or the <B>Your Wants</B> forum for records you are looking for.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

SID
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by SID » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:29 pm

No doubt about what you say is true,Joe. Overhead is a big issue in any business. Try and rent,lease,or buy a building or storefront and see what it costs.
I frequent record stores everywhere that I go,and a close friend owns one here on the east coast. Always heard that Ameoba was one of the best in the country. Maybe one day I'll get there.

rooster
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by rooster » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:12 pm

when i first saw the topic line, i was going to say that my collection was worth 12 billion U.S.D...but only to me.

having managed a used record store back in the mid 80's, i'd have to say we of course tried to buy as low as we could but we also tried not to insult anyone's intelligence. then again things were a little different way back when. it really wasn't so important to take potential record sellers to the cleaners for our own gain. there were numerous times when something really collectable came into the store and not only did we NOT try to lowball the seller but actually helped them get something closer to the records "real" monetary value through our network of collectors. i know it may seem strange to modern sensibilities that a record store had an owner and a manager with something akin to a conscious, but it really happened that way (in our case, anyway).

it goes without saying that this was well before everyone became jaded with ebay and worldwide internet sellers that can provide just about any record one could wish to own, given enough time and money.

rooster
While the information he conveyed was interesting Rooster's communication skills need improvement. - Global_Dog_Productions

hrtshpdbox
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by hrtshpdbox » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:01 pm

rooster wrote: ...having managed a used record store back in the mid 80's...
Back in the mid 70s, when I was almost a daily customer at my favorite NYC record store, I occasionally brought the owner something I wanted to sell. I invariably wanted more for it than he wanted to pay, so he'd put it up on the wall as a consignment, with a price that covered what I wanted plus his commish. More times than not, they sold quickly.

I definitely don't begrudge a store its profit margin, but I also think that anyone who plans on bringing records into a store to sell should do some research first on what they have. I mean, unless they have no interest at all in protecting their own interests.

Not only does Ebay give buyers a chance to find anything, it also allows record owners to find a good price for their records if they put some effort into learning how to sell. Many brick and mortar owners sell on Ebay as well - the "wholesale-retail" disparity is incentive enough for one-time sellers to to figure out how Ebay works.

Heidler
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

How Much Is Your Collection Really Worth?

Post by Heidler » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:44 pm

Just to what wanted to pipe-in with regard to what " rooster " posted earlier about what HIS collection is worth to HIM..." Priceless "

That's one of the best postings I've ever seen here on the Guild!

There used to be a chap out her who ( somehow ) " valued " record collections for insuance purposes, but other collectors have told me they had no idea where ( or how ) he managed to come up with his figures, but I don't think he's around anymore.

Back when, another fellow down in Venice, Michael Ochs ( yes, of the Michael Ochs Archives ) had his collection valued at over $ 1 million.
I don't know if he sold it for that amount, or what happened to most of it, but I can attest, it must have been worth a lot of dollars.

I have no idea of any monetary value of most of my record collection, but when some other collectors have seen parts of it, and when they relay " ooh " and " ahh " ..then I feel it's worth more than money to me AND them...

I love what rooster conveyed....

Getting ready for my junket South ( San Diego ) but I had to add my 2 pffenings worth.

Thanks.

H
The best part of the day...is the night...

vinyl1
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by vinyl1 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:38 pm

rooster wrote:Having managed a used record store back in the mid 80's, i'd have to say we of course tried to buy as low as we could but we also tried not to insult anyone's intelligence. then again things were a little different way back when. it really wasn't so important to take potential record sellers to the cleaners for our own gain. there were numerous times when something really collectable came into the store and not only did we NOT try to lowball the seller but actually helped them get something closer to the records "real" monetary value through our network of collectors. i know it may seem strange to modern sensibilities that a record store had an owner and a manager with something akin to a conscious, but it really happened that way (in our case, anyway). rooster
That sounds like a good business practice to me. If you pay a naive seller what his valuable collectables are worth, then he'll tell all his buddies what a great buyer you are, and you'll get first dibs on all the good stuff going.

It is the guys who try to rook everyone who never get anywhere in the business.

webkrawler
Level 2
Level 2

Post by webkrawler » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:16 am

If I have 45rpm records I do not want, I simply give them away to my local record store. They usually can only sell them for $2.00 to $3.00 anyway. Sometimes I will come across duplicates and unless its a rare record, I will determine which of the 2 (or more) is in the best shape and give the other ones away.

I don't like duplicates in my collection. Exceptions for different labels or different release countries of the same song. (or even different picture sleeves).

CactusCowboy
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by CactusCowboy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:30 pm

webkrawler wrote:If I have 45rpm records I do not want, I simply give them away to my local record store. They usually can only sell them for $2.00 to $3.00 anyway. Sometimes I will come across duplicates and unless its a rare record, I will determine which of the 2 (or more) is in the best shape and give the other ones away.

I don't like duplicates in my collection. Exceptions for different labels or different release countries of the same song. (or even different picture sleeves).
I imagine you've built a lot of goodwill with the store owner by doing that. Not a bad idea.

parrot55
Level 2
Level 2

Post by parrot55 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:15 am

After some 40+ years of collecting,got bored, and started cataloging my collection, so if some day I kick it, my wife and daughter can sell the entire collection, 75 percent first pressings, including A complete Crows run on Rama, with red wax and black wax copies of Heartbreaker by the Jewels and Crows, Miss you,black and red,those two were bought from Val Shively, and of course Gee rama #5 red and black, Some VJs on red wax including Do-Wah on Red wax(Took almost 27 years to find that one) and the following VJs on red wax, VJ 101,102,105,107,115,116,118, a couple Chance records
(Baby its you, and just a lonely Christmas, nice blue wax copy of Eternally/It ain't the meat by the swallows on king 4501, and some on Sabre,Parrot and very early Sun and chess numbers,on the low end prices on the complete collection is Between $50,000 to $100,000.

mackdaddyg
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by mackdaddyg » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:48 am

parrot55 wrote:After some 40+ years of collecting,got bored, and started cataloging my collection, so if some day I kick it, my wife and daughter can sell the entire collection, 75 percent first pressings, including A complete Crows run on Rama, with red wax and black wax copies of Heartbreaker by the Jewels and Crows, Miss you,black and red,those two were bought from Val Shively, and of course Gee rama #5 red and black, Some VJs on red wax including Do-Wah on Red wax(Took almost 27 years to find that one) and the following VJs on red wax, VJ 101,102,105,107,115,116,118, a couple Chance records
(Baby its you, and just a lonely Christmas, nice blue wax copy of Eternally/It ain't the meat by the swallows on king 4501, and some on Sabre,Parrot and very early Sun and chess numbers,on the low end prices on the complete collection is Between $50,000 to $100,000.
I'm not one to care about monetary value, but those records must make for some mighty fine listening.

pmccabe
Level 4
Level 4

Post by pmccabe » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:31 pm

Blog covered it all pretty well, except for-
it would probably be best to auction off the most rare of the rare on eBay, then do the bulk sale, sort of a half-and-half deal, only for the knowledgable. like Pepper Adams on Motown/Workshop label, you could struggle to sell locally at all, but online over $100; Bruce Springsteen records are so common, why bother trying to list online when there are a thousand copies already listed there?
Someone inheriting the records probably wouldn't have the knowledge to do this.

Return to “Buying and Selling Questions”