Are printed price guides obsolete?

Help me find the value of my records? <B>Please exercise due diligence in researching your items before posting to this forum.</B> The Helpful Hints sticky contains valuable resources. Also, <U>no buying or selling</U> and <U>no long lists or flooding</U>. Please use the <B>Your Wants</B> forum for records you are looking for.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

mackdaddyg
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Are printed price guides obsolete?

Post by mackdaddyg » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:27 pm

Rooster mentioned elsewhere that some conversations need to get started here at the RCG. This has been on my mind a while, so here goes...

Lately I've come to appreciate Discogs.com for information that price guides used to provide. Granted there are errors, but if I want to know about a specific pressing or an entire discography of an artist, more often than not Discogs comes through.

Also, the fact they display actual prices paid for items helps me immensely when it comes to deciding how much something should cost if I ever want to buy it. There are many cases where my printed price guide from a few years ago has something valued either a lot higher or a lot lower than the actual price realized online.

Having said that, there are also quite a few cases where the price something sold for in similar condition varies widely. A near mint copy of a record might have sold for $50 a few months ago, but a more recent transaction was only for $20, or vice versa.

I bring all this up because I recently realized I haven't really used a printed guide in months to get the info I need. I don't know if they're even being printed any more or not.

Any thoughts?

SID
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Re: Are printed price guides obsolete?

Post by SID » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:11 pm

There might be a few price guides still being printed. The ones that I've seen are using prices for the records taken from Ebay or Discogs completed sales ,whether it's Popsike, Collectors Frenzy, Gripsweat or other online sites.. Nowadays with the internet most of the older price guides are obsolete. I still use them for discogrophy purposes though.

rooster
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by rooster » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:32 pm

I'm probably the last person who should comment on the subject of price guides. I haven't consulted one in quite a few years. I have always bought records for a price I felt comfortable paying. That's not to say I've never over paid for a record, but rather, that I've paid what a given record was worth to me to have in my collection. Price guides have always seemed to me to be somewhat out of date as soon as they're printed.

The problem with any of the auction sites is that it's like having to be in the right place at the right time. You may wind up paying a good price or you may have to over pay. Your best way to determine a price might just be to find set sale prices and average it out for yourself.

rooster
While the information he conveyed was interesting Rooster's communication skills need improvement. - Global_Dog_Productions

B_big.
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by B_big. » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:48 am

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( .Image

• I own a few price guides, all of them are old, because I don't use them to check the prices. I use them to find out the release date of certain records mainly. Though one can do this more comfy online, but even on-line you won't find all releases. Sometimes I was lucky, finding one of them in my old printed price guides.
    One more thing is, that the pricing in most of the price guides are exaggerations, that can't be taken serious. I prefer to orientate myself at contemporary sales. Not on high prices, that somebody paid once in a century.

I think, I'm doing pretty good with this decision, if I see how many customers accept the offers on my 'Discogs Marketplace'. .Image

'Discogs' is the contemporary platform, for getting the most realistic access for the current value of recordings. They have a quite huge data base of releases and they provide a history of price development for records sold. They also state the date, when a certain record has been sold the last time. In addition they inform about the 'high', 'average' and 'low', a record has been sold ever.

I also use a few more sources to determine the price for a record I offer for sale. Just to make sure, that I don't outsmart potential buyers. Here they are, in order of appearance:
    • ebay . (by extended search option for completed sales)

For those, who might be interested in my aim to sell some records from my personal collection,
    I made an attempt of explanation here. .Image
. Image
https://www.vinylrotation.org/
the fine art of record cover & sleeve & more
berlin/germany/europe/planet earth/milky way/universe

rooster
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by rooster » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:37 pm

I never really used the various price guides even for disco graphical information because they had errors and they were so arbitrary in their inclusion or exclusion of records and/or artists. I generally used various publications that published discographies (Bim Bam Boom, Record Research, Blues Unlimited, Goldmine, Discoveries, etc.) that I was able to get a hold of.

The only price guide that I really used with any regularity (if you can call it that) was the L.R. Docks 78RPM guide and that was mainly because that book had an extensive (though certainly not exhaustive) section of 78RPM label photos. As I stated earlier, I only paid what I was willing to pay for a given record. As a general rule, I didn't rely on someone else's valuation.

rooster
While the information he conveyed was interesting Rooster's communication skills need improvement. - Global_Dog_Productions

mackdaddyg
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by mackdaddyg » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:43 pm

rooster wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:37 pm

The only price guide that I really used with any regularity (if you can call it that) was the L.R. Docks 78RPM guide and that was mainly because that book had an extensive (though certainly not exhaustive) section of 78RPM label photos.
Oh man! As a kid the Docks guide was the first one I ever got. I spent so much time looking at those black & white photos of the labels. I found it fascinating. Actually, I still do like looking through books that have label pics in them.

CaptainVague
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by CaptainVague » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:15 pm

I like price guides for determining the pressing of LP's as labels changed designs and colors over the years. I don't trust their prices anymore unless it's to brag value to my kids or something. I do trust their structure though. A first pressing is double the value of a third and so on. A copy with the poster adds value, an original cover that later changed. They can also help track artists who moved from band to band to solo, example The Zombies see Argent.
"In the 60's it was rock & roll, by the 70's they dropped the roll and called it rock, in the 80's MTV came along and it was more like professional wrestling." Tom Petty

wurlitzer1450
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by wurlitzer1450 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:15 am

price guides were never very accurate, the author/publisher of the guides usually over valued the records they personally liked. then there's the argument over what is really a mint record. i have several friends who are experts in certain fields that i rely on to know what a certain record actually sells for when it's offered by a no body from near the little town of Nervous, new Mexico but usually i just quote something from my head of what i sold them for 30 - 40 years ago when i had the record shops. i know, i'm living in the past but i just don't have any interest in records after 1964 except to buy them for resale so i can pay exorbitant prices for what i want for my personal collection.

many different things determine what a record will sell for, famous dealers like tefteller, manship, and others get premium prices for their product because their reputation is well know and reputation is the best thing a record buyer or seller can have. some records will be hot for a short while and then fade away. the death of a recording star can elevate the price of their records. hype plays a big role also, there's so many newer records [post 1964] out there that look like they're nothing at first glance that bring 100 to 200 bucks. ty to all my friends over the years that have clued me in on this type of record like the scotti bruning lp which i would not have bought if it hadn't been for tom paradise telling me about it.
near the little town of nervous, new mexico

RidinTheWind
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by RidinTheWind » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:58 pm

I never use price guides for value, but I do find them helpful for info on the different labels and dates of records. They can also be helpful just as a listing of what has been deemed collectable, just take the prices with a large grain of salt.
Anyone who thinks he has a foolproof plan hasn't counted on the ingenuity of fools.

Return to “Value”