Texas Members

Here you can make arrangements to meet other members at record shows, conventions, special events or at the local record shop. Include mapquest or google maps as attachments for better directions.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

gbfrank
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Texas Members

Post by gbfrank » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:29 am

Haven't firmed up a date yet, not even a month, but thinking of visiting my sister in Dallas/Ft Worth area ( actually Irving). Would then probably be heading to New Braunfels area for a week.

Any members in those areas?

Frank
Everybody is entitled to their opinion, even if it's wrong, which it is, uh, most of the time, maybe....or not.

Heidler
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Texas Members

Post by Heidler » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:44 pm

R. Folkes in New Braunfels ( Texas ) is a great 78 collector ( Robert Johnson ) as well as " company sleeves " and 45 picture sleeves ( some really RARE ones in his collection, as seen by me in 2011 and in really GREAT conditions )

I just contacted him in regards to this post and he's not interested in meeting with you.

Good luck in Dallas ( Irving )
I've spent many a record hunt at the " TEJAS Motel " in Irving, back when it was a going firm, a nice little chicken place next door ( NOT KFC ) and just off the interstate on the " eastern side "

Still some great items to be found in Fort Worth, and a pawn shop, south to Weatherford, where they sold LP records as " 3 for a dollar " *
* This is where I picked-up the Vee Jay(s) Frank Ifield / Beatles LPs for less than $6 as well as a sealed copy of " Ball " as by Iron Butterfly ( $ 1 )

Good luck...

H
The best part of the day...is the night...

LoneStarStomp
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Re: Texas Members

Post by LoneStarStomp » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:08 pm

Heidler wrote:R. Folkes in New Braunfels ( Texas ) is a great 78 collector ( Robert Johnson ) as well as " company sleeves " and 45 picture sleeves ( some really RARE ones in his collection, as seen by me in 2011 and in really GREAT conditions )

I just contacted him in regards to this post and he's not interested in meeting with you.
Unless this is an inside joke aren't some things better left unsaid?
LoneStarStomp- Rambles about the Music of West Texas/Eastern New Mexico...
Diggin' It!!!- This and that sounds...

Fireflite
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

RE: Re: Texas Members

Post by Fireflite » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:54 pm

Unless this is an inside joke aren't some things better left unsaid?
Yes, but what makes you think he'll stop now?
In the rarefied air of Robert Johnson 78 collectors & friends , we are all but peons to be put in our place.

gbfrank
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by gbfrank » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:18 pm

Mr Heidler delights in self-perceived excellence. As I asked about RCG members, his input is pointless.
Everybody is entitled to their opinion, even if it's wrong, which it is, uh, most of the time, maybe....or not.

ZeppelinHunter
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ZeppelinHunter » Fri May 03, 2013 10:52 pm

This may be too late to be helpful, but here goes anyway.

I live in between Dallas and Fort Worth. I suggest you check out Doc's Records in Fort Worth. I've been there a couple of times, and while they don't have a huge collection, they frequently get in a lot of new stuff, and their prices are reasonable.

Another place is Forever Young in Grand Prairie. It has a *huge* selection, but they're expensive (if you check online reviews, you'll see this is a common complaint, and I concur).

Here's a Yelp link for Doc's records; you'll see a link to Forever Young on the right side of the page as well. http://www.yelp.com/biz/docs-records-an ... fort-worth

Half Price Books are everywhere in the area. Their LP collections vary a great deal both in quantity and quality. If you find yourself in Arlington for some reason, go to the one in north Arlington. It doesn't have an especially large collection, but I've found some great deals there, and if you find an LP with some obvious defect, you might bargain it down with the clerk.

I haven't been to Dallas looking for LPs, but I was told by a clerk at my local Salvation Army that the "main Salvation Army store" in Dallas has a big collection, and that I should go there if I were interested in vinyl. I haven't done so, so I can't vouch for it, but there you are. I'm not sure what "main Salvation Army store" actually means. Isn't that helpful?

Finally, there's Traders Village in Grand Prairie. It's a freakin' huge flea market open on the weekends. I've only been there once, and that was before I started collecting vinyl again, but I've since read about vinyl sellers there. I need to get off my duff and get back there. Here's a link: http://tradersvillage.com/grand-prairie/

gbfrank
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by gbfrank » Sat May 04, 2013 12:20 am

Thank you very much, ZeppelinHunter. I'll try to visit some of the places you've suggested.

Frank

Return to “Meet me at.....”