Factory codes on Atlantic / ATCO labels

This area includes discography information by band, country or links to label sites that include all formats.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

annaloog
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Factory codes on Atlantic / ATCO labels

Post by annaloog » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:24 am

At some point in the mid 1960s Atlantic and associated labels (ATCO, Cotilion, etc) added a 2-letter factory (pressing plant) code as a suffix to the matrix number. As an example, the ATCO label below shows the CT code highlighted. Knowing which plant pressed a particular copy can be helpful in identifying certain variations for these labels.

The codes are:
AR = Allied Records, Los Angeles, CA
CP = Columbia Record Productions, Pitman, NJ
CT = Columbia Record Productions, Terre Haute, IN
LY = Shelly Products, Huntington Station, NY
MO = Monarch Records, Los Angeles, CA
PL = Plastic Products, Memphis, TN
PR = Presswell Records, Ancora, NJ
RI = Philips Recording Corp. (formerly Richmond Record Pressing and Mercury Record Manufacturing Company), Richmond, IN
SP = Specialty Records, Olyphant, PA

This list probably is not exhaustive -- if anyone knows of a 2-letter code not included, please comment.

Elektra/Asylum used similar factory codes, although these may be found inscribed in the trailoff area. Those that differ from Atlantic's include:
CSM = Columbia Record Productions, Santa Maria, CA
CTH = Columbia Record Productions, Terre Haute, IN
PRC = Philips Recording Corp., Richmond, IN
PRC-W = Philips Recording Corp., Compton, CA ... the "W" presumably indicates West

(Special thanks to "W.B." for solving the mystery of LY, PR and RI.)
Attachments
SD33-223hi.jpg
ATCO SD 33-223
Bee Gees' 1st
* showing matrix number with factory code suffix highlighted
SD33-223hi.jpg (36.96 KiB) Viewed 2019 times
Last edited by annaloog on Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

fortherecord
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fortherecord » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:56 am

There are certain ATCO/Atlantic/ and Elektra pressings I find are often good that have a triangle etched into the run out groove area next to a hand etched four number code. These pressing often have a crisp top end and seem to have been mastered "hotter". A couple examples I have are two Mono LP's; Cream's "Disraeli Gears" and Bee Gee "Horizontal" and some Bobby Darin LP's.

fortherecord
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fortherecord » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:01 am

Addendum: The Elektra pressings with the triangle in the run out also seem to be hotter and on thick vinyl. THe Elektra label is a shiny greenish gold rather than the usual flat tan label. I've seen some later red labels with the triangle as well.

annaloog
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by annaloog » Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:36 pm

fortherecord wrote:... that have a triangle etched into the run out groove area next to a hand etched four number code ....
Is the number followed by an "-X" suffix on side 2? And is there a circular stamp with MR inside (in the trailoff area)? If so, these marks are diagnostic for Monarch Records pressings.

ks45
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by ks45 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:28 pm

I've got an Atlantic album with CTH coding

losAntonis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by losAntonis » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:27 am

(A) or (AL) (AL-1) stands for Allentown Record Co., Inc., of Allentown, PA.
Another code associated with this plant was "ARC"

The first 4 Doors Abums were pressed there as well. look at the tan (and also red) labels with the bold STEREO letters on the right and on the left side.

Doors Albums (Elektra) of later pressings for example have this AL code (after the serial number) and the ARC code with the date of the reissues as well, somewhere else at the trailoff. It is not easy to read this ARC code, because it is very light written.

j_loop
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by j_loop » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:01 pm

A couple questions about these.
I have 2 copies of Disraeli Gears one with "CT" one without. For the one without should I be looking for the plant's code on the label or deadwax? There doesn't seem to be one on the label and within the dead wax there are "AT" "LW" and a W with 3 dots above it. None of those are mentioned above as a known pressing plant codes above so maybe this one is from somewhere else?

Also how different can pressing from different plants be? For instance:
1: The CT label is very glossy and slick whereas the one without is quite matte looking and papery fibrous.
2: The deadwax area for the CT is about .5" wide whereas the deadwax area of the other is a whole inch.
3: Deadwax of the CT is pressed, while the other is etched.

Or are these different pressings ie. 1st 2nd etc..?
Attachments
no Ct.jpg
no Ct.jpg (26.58 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
CT.jpg
CT.jpg (27.37 KiB) Viewed 1070 times

annaloog
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by annaloog » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:34 pm

j_loop wrote:... Or are these different pressings ie. 1st 2nd etc..?
I'd think they are "factory variations". Acc. to the price guide definition of a "pressing", which is based on differences in label design, both examples are the same pressing. Without actually examining your anonymous (no factory code) disk an identification possibly cannot be made ... unless only one contract factory is known to have used a factory code.

The difference in width of the 'dead wax' area indicates that two different master disks were cut, so there might be slight audible differences between the two in terms of volume.
3: Deadwax of the CT is pressed, while....
By this, do you mean that the matrix no. is machine-stamped?

j_loop
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by j_loop » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:31 pm

Hey, thanks for all the information!! So the code is supposed to be on the label...interesting. If there's any other information I can give to help id it just let me know. Yes,the matrix number is stamped. I think I got little carried away with the word press(ing) up there!

Abeatlessnut
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Abeatlessnut » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:25 pm

At some point in the mid 1960s Atlantic and associated labels (ATCO, Cotilion, etc) added a 2-letter factory (pressing plant) code as a suffix to the matrix number. As an example, the ATCO label below shows the CT code highlighted. Knowing which plant pressed a particular copy can be helpful in identifying certain variations for these labels.

The codes are:
AR = Allied Records, Los Angeles, CA
CP = Columbia Record Productions, Pitman, NJ
CT = Columbia Record Productions, Terre Haute, IN
LY = Shelly Products, Huntington Station, NY
MO = Monarch Records, Los Angeles, CA
PL = Plastic Products, Memphis, TN
PR = Presswell Records, Ancora, NJ
RI = Philips Recording Corp. (formerly Richmond Record Pressing and Mercury Record Manufacturing Company), Richmond, IN
SP = Specialty Records, Olyphant, PA

Annaloog,
As part of their record club, did Capitol Records press any records and were they given a special code?

Return to “Miscellaneous”