Maybe VG Plus in Some Other World

If you have experienced either a good or bad eBay deal on a record related material. Please post here.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

hrtshpdbox
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Maybe VG Plus in Some Other World

Post by hrtshpdbox » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:07 pm

I just found this amusing/disturbing. A seller, who sells only records and who has over 4000 feedbacks, is listing a lot of 129 "Rock, R&B, Blues & Jazz 45's"; he pictures and lists and grades them all. Auction ends in a couple of hours, and the current bid is 31 dollars. There are some decent titles, and he puts up photos of 15 or 20 records per photo. I've isolated one record from one of those larger photos, Tommy Facenda "Plea of Love". He says of it:
Tommy Facenda - Atlantic Records 64 High School USA, Plea Of Love Record Is Very Good +

If it (somehow) played perfectly, no one with conscience could call a record that looks like that VG Plus. You'd have to say "looks VG Minus but plays great", or something. As it is, I can hardly believe that it would play through. Of the 129 records listed, he calls 5 of them VG and the other 124 VG+. Why am I skeptical? Still, there's bidders - quite amazing.
Attachments
not vg plus.JPG
not vg plus.JPG (28.68 KiB) Viewed 3605 times

SID
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by SID » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:18 pm

Holy moly,Batman......that's G at best !

I usually throw those condition records away !

webkrawlerr
Level 2
Level 2

Post by webkrawlerr » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:53 pm

I don't like the grading scale anyway. But, if you read Goldmine, which many people use as their "standard". VG+ is very ambiguous to say the least.

I take VG+ as a record that SOUNDS NM- but looks like...anyway it wants to look like.

I agree, though. I can't see how this record can sound anywhere near VG+.

The only way this person can justify this as being VG+ on any scale at all is if this is
a super rare record and almost always you find them in much worse shape than this
one. But, even then, it's not a good excuse.

Oh well.

Return to “Good and bad eBay deals”