What would you folks do w/ all these records

If you have a music or record related question, ask it here. We also welcome honest answers.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

Plaiddict
Level 2
Level 2

What would you folks do w/ all these records

Post by Plaiddict » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:48 pm

Hi,
I have found myself in possession of someone's 20K+, LP record collection. I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow to get a grasp on the scope and scale of what I'm about to be dealing with here.
After that, I'm clueless what to do next so I'm here to ask any of you, what would you do if you found yourself in my shoes. I realize I will need to catalog & value them somehow.
The collector is a meticulous, former educator so I trust the collection won't be full of duds. But I have no way to know for sure right now.

I just need some basic direction. 20K sounds like a massive amount to me.

What would you folks do?

Sorry so vague. I'm just trying to get a basic plan formulated and I am absolutely the definition of greenhorn in this arena.

Scott

rooster
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Re: What would you folks do w/ all these records

Post by rooster » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:40 am

Firstly, welcome to the Record Collectors Guild. Glad you're here. 20k is a lot of records, especially for the uninitiated. There's clearly a lot of research ahead of you. My first question to you would be, what are your intentions for this collection? Are you going to sell it off? Or are you going to keep them?

Personally, I'd take a few out and start listening to them. But then, I'm just an old record collector...👴 :lol: :badger:

I've always found that the real value is in the grooves.

I'm sure everyone here will help you all they can, once you comeback with some specific artists/labels/etc.

rooster
While the information he conveyed was interesting Rooster's communication skills need improvement. - Global_Dog_Productions

Plaiddict
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Plaiddict » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:06 am

The collector's intention was to pass these on to someone so that they may benefit from them financially. I'm going to honor his wishes. He did not want them dumped all at once, yard sale style so my goal is to learn as much as I can to treat the collection & the collector with as much respect as possible.
So TLDR - I do intend to sell a chunk of them at least. But I'm not offloading the whole lot. It will be a labor of love.

rooster
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by rooster » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:25 am

Regardless of your intentions, I hope you do choose to listen to some of them along the way.

rooster
While the information he conveyed was interesting Rooster's communication skills need improvement. - Global_Dog_Productions

Plaiddict
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Plaiddict » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:29 am

I most definitely do!

mackdaddyg
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by mackdaddyg » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:09 pm

If you're going to actually catalog the value of each record (and I both envy AND pity you if that's the case!), look them up on sites like discogs.com or collectorsfrenzy.com. You can see actual prices realized from the past few years.

Condition is key, of course. An album that sells for fifty bucks in near mint condition probably isn't worth much if it's all scratched up.

Where are you located? Somebody who's familiar with your area might be able to help you in person, or recommend a store to take them to.

Good luck.

SID
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by SID » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:25 pm

20K is a lot of records ! If you don't want to keep them,I'd either sell them off to one person or go the Ebay,Discogs route,which will take you a very long time and lots of work to try and sell individually. Do you live anywhere near eastern Pennsylvania ? What genres of music are we talking about ?

Plaiddict
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Plaiddict » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:12 am

I live in Idaho and the the primary genres are 50's-70's rock and country. I haven't yet put eyes on them because I'm still plowing through a mountain of books which are in the way.

wurlitzer1450
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by wurlitzer1450 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:05 am

if you don't have a lot of time and are not really experienced in selling records the best way is to sell the complete collection or hire someone to sell them for you, otherwise you will be stuck with about 80 to 90% of them. remember the prices you see records selling for are subject to many different reasons, established dealers get several times what a person that is just starting to sell. i just finished going thru about 65,000 in the past month and last fall i drove to n. idaho to look thru about 20,000. it would help if most of your records were 45s. one more tip, don't take anything but cash, no bank drafts, travelers checks, etc.
near the little town of nervous, new mexico

Plaiddict
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Plaiddict » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:43 am

Thank you for the solid advice. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed.

These happen to be almost all 33s

Return to “Questions and Answers”