2 odd 7" singles on "Macho Records"

If you have a music or record related question, ask it here. We also welcome honest answers.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

B_big.
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

2 odd 7" singles on "Macho Records"

Post by B_big. » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:51 pm

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( .Image

• While continuing cataloging my 7" singles in my data base, I came across two American 7-inch singles on the 'Macho' label. I searched the entire net for information, but couldn't find something unfortunately .
    • The first one:
      • 'The Ballad of Trottin' Sally' / 'Pain and Hurt' - Joe Bennett . (Macho Records - 3062248)

• . Image

. Image

The second one:

• 'I Can't Get Enough of Life' / 'Times Ain't Good No More' - Peggy and Joe Bennett . (Macho Records - 493-29)
        • . Image

. Image

It's C&W music, to me. Both of these 7" singles are looking like artist's personal pressings, but, as I mentioned above, I wasn't able to discover some information neither about the artist nor about the record label.

Any information will be appreciated. .Image
. Image
https://www.vinylrotation.org/
the fine art of record cover & sleeve & more
berlin/germany/europe/planet earth/milky way/universe

rooster
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Re: 2 odd 7" singles on "Macho Records"

Post by rooster » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:22 pm

The only Joe Bennett that I know of from Spartansburg South Carolina was the leader/vocalist/guitarist of a late 1950's group named " The Sparkletones". They had one big hit in 1957, entitled "Black Slacks". They also had a few minor hits in the next few years. The Sparkletones played in a Rockabilly/Rock And Roll style.

I can't say your records are by the same Joe Bennett, because I have never looked into it. I do know that Joe Bennett became a guitar teacher for many years in Spartansburg after the fame faded away. If I recall correctly, he died a few years ago.
While the information he conveyed was interesting Rooster's communication skills need improvement. - Global_Dog_Productions

Kimmo
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by Kimmo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:52 pm

...during Black Slack, Paul Anka was arount the studio at the same time, so he went on to sing choruses on that tune...

I looked Arthur Smits Studios to find more clues, no goal really. Interesting as have dig Sparkletones.

B_big.
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by B_big. » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:37 pm

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( .Image

• Firstly thank you to both of you! Your effort is appreciated. @Rooster: I also found information about Joe Burnette and The Sparkletones at Discogs, but wasn't sure whether this is the same artist. I also asked on the 45s collector group on facebook. A guy there said, he believes, that this is one and the same artist. The singles I have are more country stylish than Rockabilly/Rock And Roll style. Thank you for the information, they're appreciated!
. Image

rooster
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by rooster » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:21 pm

Off hand, I would say "Joe Burnette And The Sparkletones" is either a typo or someones deliberate attempt to cash in on the real Joe Bennett & The Sparkletones.

As for the person who thinks your records are by the real Joe Bennett he probably reasoned, as I did, that your records are from the same city that Joe Bennett was from and so it's likely the same artist. Rockabilly isn't really that far from country music.

rooster
While the information he conveyed was interesting Rooster's communication skills need improvement. - Global_Dog_Productions

B_big.
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by B_big. » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:58 pm

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( .Image

• Again thank you for your judgment, it's really appreciated. I guess, we won't find out reliable anyway. .Image

Nevertheless it's nice to have these two 7" singles, they weren't expensive at all! .Image
. Image

Return to “Questions and Answers”