Playing a Cracked Record

If you have a music or record related question, ask it here. We also welcome honest answers.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

RidinTheWind
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Playing a Cracked Record

Post by RidinTheWind » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:39 pm

I picked up a 45 yesterday that has two one inch cracks about a half of an inch a part leading in from the outer rim. Usually, I pass up something like this, but it is a record I have been hunting for for years.

My intention is to align the cracks and play it once to record to CD, but there is the question of possible stylus damage. My thought is that if the cracks are aligned well enough, it might be like the stylus going over an ordinary scratch.

I did a quick search on the subject at another website and came across one post warning about cracked records causing damage.

Any other thoughts on this?
Anyone who thinks he has a foolproof plan hasn't counted on the ingenuity of fools.

wurlitzer1450
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Re: Playing a Cracked Record

Post by wurlitzer1450 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:51 am

it depends on how well you can align the crack, i line it up the best i can and put a tiny spot of super glue on the outer edge to hold it in place. sometimes when a record cracks tiny pieces are broken off, examine it under magnification.
near the little town of nervous, new mexico

RidinTheWind
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Re: Playing a Cracked Record

Post by RidinTheWind » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:29 pm

I worked on it over the weekend. From test playing it, I apparently aligned the cracks very well, only barely audible clicks.

Also, I had to repair the grooves where it was slightly gouged. Except for a dull pop, it plays fine at that spot.

All in all, the record sounds at a VG grade. So, I got a surprisingly very listenable recording.

BTW, I set up a turntable with a worn stylus for playing it. With the cost of a new stylus nowadays, I didn't want to take any chances.
Anyone who thinks he has a foolproof plan hasn't counted on the ingenuity of fools.

Return to “Questions and Answers”