Selling on Ebay Is Driving Me Insane!!!!

This forum contains questions and answers pertaining to eBay.com. All may post to this board. No buying or selling of discs, annoucement of auctions or the advertising of sites at this forum.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

Petarjovanic
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:21 am

Selling on Ebay Is Driving Me Insane!!!!

Post by Petarjovanic » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:53 am

Thanks for listening to my rant!

Just wanted to see how other people have handled selling online.

I'm finding it increasingly frustrating with the feedback system.

I have a total of 486 feedbacks at 100% positive with 1 neutral.

Here's 1 example. I was forced to refund a portion of the customers money which I didnt believe was my fault. The gentlemen whom purchases records and on sells them "thought" my pressing was the original issue. I did not stipulate it was an original nor did I even know there was a re issue in existence. It was an auction started at $10 and ended up selling for the same price as a re issue anyhow. When I approached ebay about the matter they stated it was my fault for not stating it was a re issue.

The 2nd example is - I sold a copy of Pink Floyd's meddle album. I grade my records visually only - I have over 12000 records to sell and cannot play them all individually. The record looked mint & I grade very harshly. The cover had some slight signs of water damage which was stipulated in the listing. Record MINT Cover VG / VG+

Today I get several rants from the ebayer - read below


You listed this grading of the vinyl of this item as MINT.
There is noticable surface noise that would deem it G/VG at best.
What is the explanation behind your grading?


You grade vinyl by sight? Seriously?!? And you admit to never having played it!?!
And you run a record store!?!

As per eBay grading of vinyl requirements:

Here is a quick guide to vinyl record grade according to Goldmine Magazine:

Mint (M)

Absolutely perfect in every way. Certainly never been played, possibly even still sealed.(More on still sealed under "Other Considerations"). Should be used sparingly as a grade, If at all.


So you thought a record that shows clear signs of use, has a water damaged cover and is 43 years old would have a mint vinyl record inside?

I'm not sending it back because with postage I'm still going to be out of pocket.

Negative feedback coming your way though. Sorry


I have tried offering him a full refund if the record is returned in the same shape and as per his claims (sufficient surface noise). He does not seem to respond when asked if there is visible damage to the record. If I did miss something I'm happy to refund 100% - I just hate the almost extortion tactics used by buyers - It's like they know as a seller how much you rely on the positive feedback and use it against you.

Please see the link to my listing below!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 1335806145

What's your thoughts on the above matter and tactics to help me with successful selling.

Am I doing something wrong or are people just difficult to please?

Thanks all.

User avatar
aravel
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM
Posts: 1525
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:52 am
Location: Guadalajara Mexico

RE: Selling on Ebay Is Driving Me Insane!!!!

Post by aravel » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:11 pm

::: Do not refund...he'll keep the record. You keep the money. Also you can complain about that negative feedback stating that the **shole already said he won't return the record, then, it's alright to keep the money.

About that answer made by eBay where it says that you should've wrote down that it's not an original pressing, the point (in my opinion) goes for the buyer. Sometimes it's hard to tell or know or find information on particular records' releases, but a quick view on discogs or popsike or past listings on eBay or even here at the forum of RCG would solve any doubt.

I've made some policies for the listings where I put on capital letters, big fonts, clear as water, about returns and refunds. I could give them to you if you want to, to help you create a hassle free listings. So far I've been problem free. Just PM if you like.

Wish you luck on thise issues, amigo
ARAVEL 8)

edit:---hey, just saw your listing...looks like a pro! :D
Image

gypsyeyes wrote:


Now.......I know that aravel said that is an older photo of himself.
But let me tell ya, to me he looks pretty hot.

User avatar
throbbingpuppy
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM
Posts: 1066
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:55 pm
Location: Vancouver BC

RE: Selling on Ebay Is Driving Me Insane!!!!

Post by throbbingpuppy » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:36 pm

Personally I think by calling any open/used record mint is just asking for problems, especially if you never listened to it, in the future I would use near mint and if you have not play tested it say it was visually graded only. I would not refund any money though unless he wants to return it. Take the negative and move on. Good luck and take care, ebay is a wretched hive of scum and villainy.

User avatar
aravel
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM
Posts: 1525
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:52 am
Location: Guadalajara Mexico

RE: Selling on Ebay Is Driving Me Insane!!!!

Post by aravel » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:44 pm

throbbingpuppy wrote: "...ebay is a wretched hive of scum and villainy..."
I want a T-Shirt with that quote, Terence! :D
Image

gypsyeyes wrote:


Now.......I know that aravel said that is an older photo of himself.
But let me tell ya, to me he looks pretty hot.

User avatar
throbbingpuppy
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM
Posts: 1066
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:55 pm
Location: Vancouver BC

Re: RE: Selling on Ebay Is Driving Me Insane!!!!

Post by throbbingpuppy » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:09 pm

aravel wrote:
throbbingpuppy wrote: "...ebay is a wretched hive of scum and villainy..."
I want a T-Shirt with that quote, Terence! :D

ha ha, maybe for next Christmas my friend :D

Petarjovanic
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:21 am

Re: RE: Selling on Ebay Is Driving Me Insane!!!!

Post by Petarjovanic » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:52 pm

aravel wrote:::: Do not refund...he'll keep the record. You keep the money. Also you can complain about that negative feedback stating that the **shole already said he won't return the record, then, it's alright to keep the money.

About that answer made by eBay where it says that you should've wrote down that it's not an original pressing, the point (in my opinion) goes for the buyer. Sometimes it's hard to tell or know or find information on particular records' releases, but a quick view on discogs or popsike or past listings on eBay or even here at the forum of RCG would solve any doubt.

I've made some policies for the listings where I put on capital letters, big fonts, clear as water, about returns and refunds. I could give them to you if you want to, to help you create a hassle free listings. So far I've been problem free. Just PM if you like.

Wish you luck on thise issues, amigo
ARAVEL 8)

edit:---hey, just saw your listing...looks like a pro! :D
Thanks so much for your offer, I would like to accept!

User avatar
aravel
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM
Posts: 1525
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:52 am
Location: Guadalajara Mexico

RE: Re: RE: Selling on Ebay Is Driving Me Insane!!!!

Post by aravel » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:03 pm

:: PM sent amigo 8O
Image

gypsyeyes wrote:


Now.......I know that aravel said that is an older photo of himself.
But let me tell ya, to me he looks pretty hot.

Petarjovanic
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:21 am

another one,

Post by Petarjovanic » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:24 am

Hi All,

I woke up this morning to another issue - this is starting to look bad on me however I sold 50 records in 1 day via auction.

Todays issue is a copy of ACDC album "TNT".

The record visibly mint (I didnt play it) however I know when something is scratched, scuffed or warped etc)

I am unsure what to make of this persons issue - A brand new record can be hampered by pop and crackles due to a build up of static electricity. He hasnt mentioned any issues visibally at all. I do think the gentlemen may have been hoping for an original blue roo label pressing and it isnt what he got therefore play the "condition" game again. What are my options? What do I offer?

"Hello, with MINT Condition that has nothing to do by far. The LP crackles, cracks and has annoying background noises. As have my older TNT albums (Blue and Red / Yellow label) a much better quality. Because the state of the LP is materially different from the description, I give the item back and want my money back. Also paid for by me customs fees in the amount of € 10.54 (AU $ 16.04), you must reimburse me. Then I will send you the LP back on your expenses. Regards Frank"

User avatar
hrtshpdbox
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM
Posts: 5856
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: Harrisburg, PA

Re: another one,

Post by hrtshpdbox » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:15 am

Petarjovanic wrote:
A brand new record can be hampered by pop and crackles due to a build up of static electricity. He hasnt mentioned any issues visibally at all.
So you're trying to say that, sure, it may play lousy, but it's visually mint? No. When a seller says they've only visually graded, and the record turns out to play at a lesser grade than the visual grade, then the buyer can and should want a refund.

ewington
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM
Posts: 2059
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:18 am
Location: Bunbury, Western Australia

Re: another one,

Post by ewington » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:33 pm

hrtshpdbox wrote:
Petarjovanic wrote:
A brand new record can be hampered by pop and crackles due to a build up of static electricity. He hasnt mentioned any issues visibally at all.
So you're trying to say that, sure, it may play lousy, but it's visually mint? No. When a seller says they've only visually graded, and the record turns out to play at a lesser grade than the visual grade, then the buyer can and should want a refund.
+1 and agree with what he said!

Post Reply

Return to “eBay Related Questions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest