New Post

This forum deals with the category of bootleg and unauthorized records. <b>Please, no buying, selling or trading of records here</b>.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

deadringer
Level 4
Level 4

Another New Post

Post by deadringer » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:36 am

Hello,

Sorry it took so long to post again (Please see my other thread). Sometimes stuff just happens and you have to put your life on hold.

I was going to do the last chapter, then work up to it. I'm still working on that, but I'd finished this one and thought I should post it. Actually I'm working on the next one, which is about Donovan's Reedy River, the Homoginized Beatles, Ren I and II and about a whole bunch of soap.

Anyway, I'm poking along. I'll try to be faster in the future.

Best to all,

Ken

Oh yes, I have proof read, but I'm not very good at it, so please forgive any small errors

sluggo
Level 5
Level 5

ken you ol` rascal...

Post by sluggo » Fri May 05, 2006 5:38 pm

Can`t thank you enough for telling your tales man..I bought my first boot lp , My God back in 71 ?72?.. and have never looked back...I read heylin`s book three times and bought copies for a couple friends but now that you are thinking of publishing i can`t wait to get my hands on a book about real involvement..I buy a few copies myself..thanks for a lifetime of fun from this side of the platter...
sluggo

deadringer
Level 4
Level 4

Back for the Long Haul

Post by deadringer » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:21 am

Hello all,

It’s been awhile since I posted here and I feel badly about it, but sometimes life gets in the way of what you’d like to be doing.

Vesta and I have moved from Oregon, which was a horrible place for us, to Reno, which is a great place. It’s not the ocean and it’s not Paris, but it’s pretty damn good. Our lives had gone so far south that I thought we were never gonna get outta there. We survived by drinking fine wine, a lot of it.

Don’t have to do that now, so now we drink in moderation and not because we have to black out the bad. That bad is still back there and sometimes we have to go there, but we put rock and roll on the stereo, drive with the windows open, no matter how cold it is and pray we don’t get killed when we pass those eighteen wheelers in the pouring rain on that two lane road. There is something to be said for freeways or interstates or highways or whatever you want to call them.

Since I’ve posted here I’ve done a new book, confessed that I was also writing under the name Jack Stewart, gotten an ingrown toenail, bought a couple new Macs, restored an old car, got a cat, got a parrot back that we’d given away fifteen years ago, tried Windows and didn’t like it, learned that I’m not very good at blackjack, discovered thrift shops and I’m currently doing that write a novel in November thing. The month is half over and I’m not quite half done, so tomorrow I’m going to unplug the cable modem.

I do have more stories to tell, but I don’t know if I can do them in order. I’ll try and I’ll try to post regularly. Shouldn’t be too hard, since our lives are way way better now, so much better that I can’t put it into words. It’s good when you can spend most of your days with a smile on your face and it’s good that my fingers can make words with the keys without having to struggle at it.

Right now I’m listening to a boot of Bob Dylan at Rothbury, MI that I downloaded about an hour ago. Christ, this is a good show, good sound, Bob Dylan with that good old magic, doesn’t get better than this.

Nothing from me tomorrow, but the next day I’ll be back with something for the “It Coulda Happened this Way thread.

Best to you all,

Ken

sluggo
Level 5
Level 5

in for the long haul

Post by sluggo » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:27 pm

came down and checked my email this a.m. and there it was..a notification from record collectors guild that there was a new post on an old old thread I had been following..I couldn`t even recall what the old thread was so I hit the link and wham..there it is like an friend out of the blue , an update from Ken...
thrilled to see you back here man, take your time and tell all the tales you can think about the glory days of tmoq........

welcome back..
sluggo

mackdaddyg
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

RE: in for the long haul

Post by mackdaddyg » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:57 pm

I second that, sir. Your posts have been very interesting, to say the least. Please post whenever you can. It will always be warmly welcomed.

KB15
Level 2
Level 2

RE: in for the long haul

Post by KB15 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:27 am

Great to have you back. Your stories are so interesting and so well written. I am looking forward to them.

deadringer
Level 4
Level 4

Real Names, Mostly

Post by deadringer » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:36 am

A couple things. I am lamenting the lack of an edit button on these boards, because even though I try to proof read, sometimes a typo slips through I’d like to fix. Anyhow that’s minor. But if there’s a way you all (forum people) can fix it so I can fix my mistakes, that would be cool.

The other thing is I’m sticking to real names, unless someone did something that could get them in trouble today, like Waterford (not his real name) marrying and doing the nasty with a fifteen year-old-girl. Also, if I disparage someone, like when I called Mel/Malcolm a dirty rotten, backstabbing rat, I’ll leave off their last name. And there are a couple people who have asked me not to used their last names. One person asked me not to talk about him at all, as he’s pretty bloody successful now, but he’s a big part of the story to come, so no last name for him, but he does get talked about. And lastly, I’ve been told it would be unwise to use the last name of law enforcement officials. I guess I get that.

vinyl collector
Level 2
Level 2

Re: New Post

Post by vinyl collector » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:52 pm

Very interesting indeed. I have also been in the bootleg business in the mid/end of the 1970s and ran STONED RECORDS until I get busted summer 1978.

In my opinion 40 years later the bootleg production och bootleg releases should be 100% legal. Let all fans who produce (record) bootlegs pay the normal royaly fee to the artists and the problem is solved.

I was in Los Angeles summer 1979 when Andrea Ellen Waters aka Vicky Vinyl who owned a couple of bootleg labels get busted. As far as i can remember FBI seized over 10 tons of records, covers, mother-, father- and pressingstamps. It was a really big lost for the bootleg fans. I visited often her at her home down in Laguna Beach before the FBI made their bust.

Btw, one of my first bootleg albums was the TMQ rubber stamped release of Bob Dylans Great White Wonder. :D

Now, 40 years later we can see the record industries reaction of bootleg releases, file sharing, torrents, streaming services eg. For 40 years ago we get busted for taking a tape recorder to a concert and/or let the recording be a vinyl disc. Today... thousands, millions are making their own "bootleg recordings" via their mobile phones (cellular phones) and spread legally at YouTube.

Time changes :D

Here are some pages about bootlegs and the American FBI.
Busted! FBI Raids 1976 + 1980 Part 1
Busted! FBI Raids 1976 + 1980 Part 2: Piece de Resistance

Return to “Bootleg Record Questions”