Bootlegs vs. pirates vs. counterfeits

This forum deals with the category of bootleg and unauthorized records. <b>Please, no buying, selling or trading of records here</b>.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

prancinghorse
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Bootlegs vs. pirates vs. counterfeits

Post by prancinghorse » Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:55 pm

To make the distinction between the above clear I think the following definitions should be used:

Counterfeits
Counterfeits are reprints of official releases which try to have exactly the same look as originals (labels and sleeves).

Pirates
Pirates are reprints of official releases as well. But the "producers" do not try to make the record look like the original (this meaning they use different label styles as well as different sleeves).

Bootlegs
Bootlegs are records with material (this can be live recordings [like most boots are], studio sessions or other jams) which normally is not released by official sources.

And no serious collector and vinyl enthusiast (record lover) would knowingly ever buy a counterfeit / pirate - I know there are exceptions (like the Beatles "Butcher" cover) but those are really exceptions..
"How can I kiss your lips at night, when you chew my a-- out all day long." - Terry Paul Nelson aka terryquasi (July 14th 1947 - July 11th 2009)

wwotr
Level 5
Level 5

Post by wwotr » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:34 am

Love your Avitar.
Reminds me of the days when I'd go to a local record shop (circa 1972) and buy the latest Led Zeppelin boot on COLORED VINYL and STILL IN THE SHRINK WRAP , for $3.95 ($6.95 for double lp).
Not that I'm :wink: THAT old, dontcha know.
I read it in a book.

:wink:

KFA
Level 5
Level 5

Post by KFA » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:40 pm

I'm still a little bit of a youngster, but I swear I just saw a Jane's Addiction bootleg that I RECORDED with a handheld at the Boathouse in '87!!!! Where's my royalty check??? arrrrggghhh.... :badger:
Vino Vinyl Veritas!

Cameron/~
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Re: Bootlegs vs. pirates vs. counterfeits

Post by Cameron/~ » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:45 am

prancinghorse wrote:And no serious collector and vinyl enthusiast (record lover) would knowingly ever buy a counterfeit / pirate - I know there are exceptions (like the Beatles "Butcher" cover) but those are really exceptions..
If the original is out of print and goes for $200, hell yes they would.

prancinghorse
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Re: Bootlegs vs. pirates vs. counterfeits

Post by prancinghorse » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:27 pm

Cameron/~ wrote:
prancinghorse wrote:And no serious collector and vinyl enthusiast (record lover) would knowingly ever buy a counterfeit / pirate - I know there are exceptions (like the Beatles "Butcher" cover) but those are really exceptions..
If the original is out of print and goes for $200, hell yes they would.
so $200 records are no exceptions ?? :roll: :?
"How can I kiss your lips at night, when you chew my a-- out all day long." - Terry Paul Nelson aka terryquasi (July 14th 1947 - July 11th 2009)

Cameron/~
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

RE: Re: Bootlegs vs. pirates vs. counterfeits

Post by Cameron/~ » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:35 pm

I'm saying, if the original is out of your reach pricewise, and some south american outfit makes a vinyl counterfeit, then, to me, you can buy it and still be serious.
Why go without?
Especially if the band can't be contacted for re-release purposes or, worse yet, the label holding the rights has no wish to ever re-release it.
But I consider myself more of a music fan than a collector.

annaloog
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

RE: Re: Bootlegs vs. pirates vs. counterfeits

Post by annaloog » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:28 am

I've bought only one record that I knew was a counterfeit (despite how it was described in the auction listing), and that was mainly to have an example on hand to distinguish differences with an authentic copy.

nealumphred
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by nealumphred » Wed May 24, 2006 9:22 pm

FELLOW GUILDERS

Without counterfeits and pirates (and etc.), it is possible that the ever thriving market for R&B group vocal 45s and privately-pressed psych. punk.prog/christian/etc. rock LPs (among others) would not exist as wellfully as they do. . .

NEAL

OldRockr
Level 2
Level 2

reputible record stores

Post by OldRockr » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:12 am

If i baught all my albumns in england "braintree" a small record store, woulkd they sell pirate and counterfits do you think.? i think most of mine are live recordings at clubs.... is that a boot then ?

THANX !!!

NavaronUK
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by NavaronUK » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:34 am

id say most small UK shops sell boots, whether its above or under the counter - certainly they arent difficult to in din Manchester
Why should I try to fit in, when I was born to stand out ?

Return to “Bootleg Record Questions”