Counterfeits of Classic Rock Albums

This forum deals with the category of bootleg and unauthorized records. <b>Please, no buying, selling or trading of records here</b>.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

shackcrack
Level 1
Level 1

Counterfeits of Classic Rock Albums

Post by shackcrack » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:29 pm

does anyone have knowledge of bootlegs of classic rock albums and how to spot them? I know Rundgrens Runt is a well known boot. I bought the Yardbirds first album and the Kinks Face to Face on the original Reprise label by mail order in the late 70's. They were advertised as bootlegs and both were well out of print. When they arrived they looked original. They vinyl was not as stiff as the mid 60s vinyl but if I did not know what I had I would have believed them original.
My big concern is that they are now being sold on Ebay. Someone was selling almost 100 great records still sealed with store stickers still on. These are currently selling at "bargain" pricesl. The Yardbirds sold for $150. I was prepared to bid twice that until I saw how many wonderful records they have sold that were still sealed with old store stickers still on them. Whoever buys will probably not open them. I contacted the seller and never heard so I canceled my bid.
I would like to see some info on what records were copied and not marked as reissues. And what to look for to distinguish them. Any one know?

CaptainVague
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by CaptainVague » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:49 pm

A bootleg is an unauthorized release of live shows or studio outakes. What you are talking about is counterfeits. And yes they do exist.
"I never liked the term Southern Rock, I find it redundant. Just because some old boy started playing it on his radio show in Cleveland doesn't make rock and roll come from the North." Gregg Allman

Mikey
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by Mikey » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:32 pm

I changed the title of this post from "Bootlegs of Classic Rock Albums" to "Counterfeits of Classic Rock Albums" so that the title reflects the content.

Was this on Ebay UK? A lot of counterfeits came out of a London plant until 2010 when they got arrested and shut down. I'd be surprised if their product was still circulating.

An underground German plant making counterfeits LPs, CDs and DVDs was shut down about six weeks ago. I'm told there is another small operation in the UK making exact replicas right down to the finest detail in very small quantities.

namralos
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by namralos » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:01 am

A "bootleg" record is any illegal record -- including pirates, counterfeits, fantasy items, unauthorized recordings, and the like.

Are you talking about pirates? These are generally knock-offs that are sold at a discount from the retail price and which cut into the record company's bottom line -- usually while the genuine record is still being sold.

Other counterfeits are made because a record has achieved some sort of increased value. These fakes are sold for hundreds, sometimes thousands of dollars.

A fantasy item isn't truly a counterfeit but is more like a "what if" item. It looks like it could have come out in the 1950's (or whenever the artist was originally releasing), and it looks like it could be a genuine item, but in reality it is much newer.

It doesn't sounds like you are describing a fantasy item, but it does appear that you refer to pirates as well as counterfeits. There are many pirate LP's, eight tracks, and cassettes, and there are pirate CD's as well. New ones seem to pop up every month or two on eBay, but there are also new counterfeits.

Famously, a few years ago someone counterfeited the Beatles' first LP on its original label. The counterfeits are not perfect, but with labels like the original, at first they were being sold for thousands of pounds each. There are also fake "A-label" demo singles that have been sold for hundreds.

annaloog
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by annaloog » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:31 am

namralos wrote:A "bootleg" record is any illegal record -- including pirates, counterfeits, fantasy items, unauthorized recordings, and the like....
You use the term very loosely ... but so do many record collectors. At risk of seeming pedantic, please see http://www.recordcollectorsguild.org/in ... ic&t=12485 for the distinction between counterfeits, pirates and bootlegs. All bootlegs are unauthorized (relative to the rights holders), but not all unauthorized records are bootlegs.

Return to “Bootleg Record Questions”