Declining prices in Elvis stuff

This forum contains questions and answers pertaining to records from Elvis Presley. All may post to this board. No buying or selling of discs or the advertising of sites at this forum.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

mackdaddyg
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Declining prices in Elvis stuff

Post by mackdaddyg » Tue May 09, 2017 3:31 pm

Read this article today:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/short ... g-in-price

It's brief, but confirms something I've seen in my limited experience over the past few years. I still thought that the true rarities were holding their value, but this article implies something else.

Any thoughts? If Neal sees this, I'd be interested to hear his take on it.

Rich_TCB
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Declining prices in Elvis stuff

Post by Rich_TCB » Wed May 10, 2017 4:08 pm

The owner of The Elvis Shop London posted this reply on Facebook -->
After someone showing me the piece printed yesterday regarding Elvis Records this is all totally wrong, I am the owner of The Elvis Shop in London & although I may have closed the physical Shop 10 years ago this was simply because of the rises in Rent & Rates & nothing else, in fact this was the best thing I ever did & Business now has never been better, as for wanting to speak to a person by the name of John Duffy the less said about him the better as many Collectors knew what he was capable of doing.
I also wonder if the others you mention are actual Registered Businesses (I don't think so) of course the Internet & eBay have affected certain aspects of selling but in the large these are people that are not part of the big picture.
As for "That's All Right" at one point being worth £4,000, whoever came up with that figure is living in cloud cuckoo land, never in a million years has it ever been worth anything like that.
Maybe before you Print another Article like this that has the World of Collectors laughing someone should maybe do their Homework & speak to real people that deal in these things.
C.Giles

mackdaddyg
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by mackdaddyg » Wed May 10, 2017 7:43 pm

Interesting counter point!

I've asked a few record dealers about how well Elvis stuff sells, and it sounds like he just doesn't move like he used to. I think the really high end stuff probably still has buyers out there, but the more common stuff....maybe not so much.

Thanks for sharing that response.

wurlitzer1450
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by wurlitzer1450 » Mon May 15, 2017 11:03 pm

as you all know i don't sell individual records, i only wholesale larger collections and sell lps and a few low end 45s at the big antique mall in col springs. the online dealers i sell to all say the same thing, E's records don't sell very well in today's market except for the very rare and i'm not talking the sun singles, they're nowhere near rare. because of the internet people are finding out just how common almost every thing he did really is and waiting for a better deal. gone are the days of getting 10 bucks for a nice clean 50s 45 by him but this is true with almost all artists unless the record is quite rare.

if our friend in england is doing well selling the common ones i'm very happy for him.
near the little town of nervous, new mexico

RidinTheWind
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by RidinTheWind » Wed May 17, 2017 6:12 pm

I wonder how much new pressings are a factor. While many seek the original release, many also only care about getting good audio quality at the cheapest price.
Anyone who thinks he has a foolproof plan hasn't counted on the ingenuity of fools.

StephenMacLeod
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by StephenMacLeod » Wed May 17, 2017 10:56 pm

I do find it hard to sell Elvis,I have a copy of Moody Blue on black vinyl with Elvis cards for sale on Ebay,had it listed for awhile ,no takers.
If anybody is interested,I have it listed at $22.99. My Ebay handle is recordman_2007.

Return to “Elvis Presley Questions”