Colored Vinyl

This forum was created, for collectors that would like to ask questions or discuss topics with the world renowned record expert, Neal Umphred. All topics will be viewed and/or answered by Mr. Umphred or this forums Moderator.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

JoeG
Level 4
Level 4

Colored Vinyl

Post by JoeG » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:47 am

Hi Neal,

JoeG here (Joe Goldmark). Looking through your 5th Edition Guide at the 50 most valuable records. There's a bunch of colored vinyl that I doubt exist, because I can't find mention of them on Popsike, Any thoughts? They are:

Beatles - Hard Day's Night - pink
Stones - 12X 5 - blue
Smiley Lewis - I Hear You Knocking - green
Fendermen - Muleskinner - blue
VA - Rock Pretty Baby sdtk - red
Johnny Ace - Memorial - red

Thanks,
JoeG

mackdaddyg
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

RE: Colored Vinyl

Post by mackdaddyg » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:44 pm

Some of those might be vanity pressings, if that's even the correct term. There are quite a few cases where a record plant worker would press some goofy color pressings after hours, so there aren't may of them out there. That might explain why they don't show up on Popsike, since they may not pop up for sale very often.

Just a guess on my part. I'm assuming Neal knows his stuff.

nealumphred
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by nealumphred » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:36 am

JOEG

Long time, buddy! And it's been a looooong time since I assembled the 5th edition of that book. As Mackdaddyg states, those are all one-of-a-kind "sports" where a pressing plant employee threw a glob of colored "wax" into the works and himself an instant collectable. One of the more famous examples is the beautiful translucent red pressing of ELVIS' CHRISTMAS ALBUM from 1957.

The ones you listed were all contributed to that book by very reliable sources, and I have seen pictures of the Beatles item:

http://www.rarebeatles.com/photospg/hdnpink.htm

In hindsight, were I to do another price guide with a Top 50 Most Valuable list, I would probably keep the titles to those that were commercially issued, saving promos and sports for a secondary list.

Hoping this helps,

NU

namralos
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by namralos » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:11 pm

JoeG
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JoeG » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:18 pm

Hi Neal,

Thanks, and I agree that one of a kind items should have their own category along with acetates and unique misprints. Not so sure about promo items if there were a number released. In my mind they would qualify for rarest category.

A while back a few early Arhoolie colored vinyl albums surfaced on eBay and I was thoroughly out-bid. I talked with Chris & Tom (the Arhoolie owners) and they knew nothing about them other than it must have been an unauthorized pressing plant employee making a vanity pressing. Early Arhoolies generally don't sell for much money, but these did.

Hope you're doing well Neal.

JoeG

nealumphred
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by nealumphred » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:29 pm

JOEG

Agreed that few Arhoolies sell for more than a hundred bucks, and I have never seen a colored vinyl record.

I spoke with a woman who had worked at RCA's Indianapolis pressing plant in 1977, and she said that when Elvis died, they were making all kinds of colored vinyls for themselves and a few one-of a-kinds ("sports"?). She said that she created a few by squeezing some gold vinyl into the machine and throwing a photo on top and ending up with some gold vinyl picture discs!

Okay: one list of say the "!00 Most Valuable Commercially Issued Albums," one list of the "Top 40 Most Valuable Promotionally Issued Albums," and one list of the "Top 20 One-of-a-Kind Albums" . . . or some such.

Bestest,

NEAL

PS: How goes the uhmeebuhs in your life?

vinyl1
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by vinyl1 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:45 pm

There were two guys in Europe who made a bunch of unauthorized colored vinyl pressings between about 2008 and 2012. They worked in pressing plants, and would sneak in a few colored pressings of legitimate rock reissues when nobody was looking. They sold them through dealers as great rarities that nobody had ever seen before, which was true in a way.

They were busted by Interpol several years ago and sent to some low-security pokey.

Return to “Ask Neal Umphred”