Rarer classical need appraisal

This forum is for questions and answers about 78rpm records. Please, no buying and selling of records, on this forum.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

tweteeberd
Level 1
Level 1

Rarer classical need appraised

Post by tweteeberd » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:40 pm

Hi All,

I have a small collection of rarer classical 78's that I need to determine value for as well as any information about collectors interested in this genre.

A few examples are Strauss-Ein Heldenleben "A Hero's Life op.40" conducted by Artur Rodzinski.

Beethoven, Symphony No.1 in C Major conducted by Felix Weingartner

These are some of the Columbia Masterworks sets that I have.

I also have Victor, RCA Victor, and His Master's Voice RCA Victor 78's of the same era with conductors Leopold Stokowski, Mengelberg and more.

And I have one Actual Vinyl 78 LP

tweteeberd
Level 1
Level 1

Rarer classical need appraisal

Post by tweteeberd » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:57 pm

Hi All,

I have a small collection of rarer classical 78's that I need to determine value for as well as any information about collectors interested in this genre.

A few examples are Strauss-Ein Heldenleben "A Hero's Life op.40" conducted by Artur Rodzinski.

Beethoven, Symphony No.1 in C Major conducted by Felix Weingartner

These are some of the Columbia Masterworks sets that I have.

I also have Victor, RCA Victor, and His Master's Voice RCA Victor 78's of the same era with conductors Leopold Stokowski, Mengelberg and more.

And I have one Actual Vinyl 78 LP

CactusCowboy
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

RE: Rarer classical need appraisal

Post by CactusCowboy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:39 pm

Hi and welcome to the RCG.

These may not be as "rare" as you think. Many (not all) Classical 78s have virtually no resale value. A Beethoven symphony for example on a major label which sold in large numbers seventy years ago. Who really wants to fip over 12" shellac 78s every 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 minutes to listen to a 20 or 30 minute symphony? Most Classical music enthusiasts would much rather buy a CD reissue of that historic recording, or a more modern performance in stereo on LP or CD.

You might go onto websites like collectorsfrenzy.com, popsike.com, or check completed auctions on Ebay to see what specific titles actually sold for. I do have a fair number of Classical 78s in my collection (several hundred perhaps) and most have virtually no resale value. All of them were acquired either dirt cheap (as part of a larger collection/accumulation purchased) or were 'freebies', typically landfill rescue scenarios.

Return to “78rpm Record Questions”