Novelty Records

This forum contains questions and answers pertaining to 45 RPM records (7"). All may post to this board. No buying or selling of discs or the advertising of sites at this forum.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

wand143
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by wand143 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:46 am

sun-rocker, I remember years ago going to a flea market and a guy got in a cache of HUNDREDS of German 45s and sold them 3 for a dollar. Most of them were "Schlager" singles but I did find a few of interest including a German cover version of "Chug A Lug" and a goofy novelty instrumental called "Chicken-Polka".
"That big ol' hole, little bitty record...nobody's gonna buy that!" - Carl Perkins, 1956

webkrawlerr
Level 2
Level 2

Post by webkrawlerr » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:08 am

mackdaddyg wrote: Webkrawlerr, I've never heard of collectorz.com before. Is it a pretty good site to use for a personal discography?
It is a pretty good site but honestly, I would recommend My Record List (http://myrecordlist.com/).

I didn't find My Record List until after I had over 3000 records inputted in Collecroz.com
and there is no easy way to export and import the data and I am not gonna switch
horses now by re-doing all that work.

Collectorz.com is good but it has to be tweaked to be used with vinyl. It is geared towards CD's.

Stick to My Record List if you're looking for a great, cloud based way to keep track
of your personal discography.

mackdaddyg
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by mackdaddyg » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:44 pm

webkrawlerr wrote:
mackdaddyg wrote: Webkrawlerr, I've never heard of collectorz.com before. Is it a pretty good site to use for a personal discography?
It is a pretty good site but honestly, I would recommend My Record List (http://myrecordlist.com/).

I didn't find My Record List until after I had over 3000 records inputted in Collecroz.com
and there is no easy way to export and import the data and I am not gonna switch
horses now by re-doing all that work.

Collectorz.com is good but it has to be tweaked to be used with vinyl. It is geared towards CD's.

Stick to My Record List if you're looking for a great, cloud based way to keep track
of your personal discography.
Thanks for the info!!

wand143
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by wand143 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:45 am

Going back to the subject of Novelty Records, can anyone here claim to own a copy of "Weird Al" Yankovic's Placebo label EP? Only 1000 copies were pressed, all sleeved & packaged by Al himself (although Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz told me he helped, too), and mine comes with a provenance: it was part of a trade with Dr. Demento himself. In 1993 I had Al autograph it, and of course he happily freaked that ANYONE would present him with a copy to sign - I think his exact words were "Wow! How did you get this?!"
"That big ol' hole, little bitty record...nobody's gonna buy that!" - Carl Perkins, 1956

webkrawlerr
Level 2
Level 2

Post by webkrawlerr » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:03 am

Wow, wand143. Very Cool! I had never heard of the EP before. Now it's on my shortlist to find!

I met Weird Al during an album signing at a record store in Orlando, FL in
1983/84 for the IN 3-D album release. Took a pic with him and everything.
I even asked him why none of his albums to date had ever been released on
8-track tapes (I was just curious). He signed my album "Close personal friend of AL"
Shame that during my divorce so much of my stuff was lost..including my signed album.

I do have alot of his stuff on 45rpm including "Another One Rides The Bus" on the
TK label and "My Bologna" on Capitol.

wand143
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by wand143 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:18 pm

Well, 8-tracks were pretty much a done deal by the time his eponymous debut and I don't think the sales of his first couple albums were enough to warrant issuing them through Columbia Record Club (which was probably the only way you could get them toward the end - I'd heard "Born In The USA" was one of the last "hit" albums available in the format). I used to have a really complete Al collection but I settled for just all the 45s and LPs (my daughters are the custodians of the CDs but the full albums only - Dad's promo CD singles are too rare for the kids to play around with especially the couple titles supposedly rescued from the record company's dumpster - Jon Schwartz told me about this). My other prize from this lot is his "King Biscuit Flower Hour" concert on vinyl - I paid $40 for it back in the late 80s and already it's supposedly worth five times that.

Return to “45rpm Questions”