Beggars Banquet LK4955 unboxed Decca in stereo sleeve??

This forum contains questions and answers pertaining to records from the Rolling Stones. All may post to this board. No buying or selling of discs or the advertising of sites at this forum.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

Flowerbed
Level 2
Level 2

Beggars Banquet LK4955 unboxed Decca in stereo sleeve??

Post by Flowerbed » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:47 am

This will no doubt be a very short thread....hopefully, in fact...
I bought a copy of BBanquet yesterday at a record fair which is the dark red unboxed Decca (LK4955) and it is in lovely nick. Plays wonderfully clean. And silent between tracks. Very pleased.

EXCEPT....the sleeve, I now see, has 'Stereo SKL4955' on it.....darn it!
My immediate thoughts are that the dealer has put a mono copy in a stereo sleeve by mistake (but how easy is that to do if you are not dealing in multiple copies of an album) and it is still a 1968 pressing as it has all the accompanying text associated with that as I understand ie. Patents Pending.

I haven't found anything to vouch for this bu...
Is it possible that a mono copy as desecribed above could've been distributed from the factory in a stereo sleeve by mistake??
Has anyone come across this?

annaloog
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

RE: Beggars Banquet LK4955 unboxed Decca in stereo sleeve??

Post by annaloog » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:29 pm

It was possibly sleeved in a stereo cover at the factory. I don't know about UK practice, but it was common practice at US factories for mono LPs to ship in stereo covers, and vice versa, in 1967-'68, when mono LPs were being phased out, and there was an under- or oversupply of matching covers. Sometimes, a MONO or STEREO sticker was applied to the cover or the shrinkwrap to match the LP.

JGH1
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

RE: Beggars Banquet LK4955 unboxed Decca in stereo sleeve??

Post by JGH1 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:52 pm

Mistakes can happen, Flowerbed. I own a copy of The Blues Magoos "Psychedelic Lollipop lp with mono labels and cover but the lp is stereo.

jmills
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Re: RE: Beggars Banquet LK4955 unboxed Decca in stereo sleev

Post by jmills » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:32 pm

JGH1 wrote:Mistakes can happen, Flowerbed. I own a copy of The Blues Magoos "Psychedelic Lollipop lp with mono labels and cover but the lp is stereo.
I have one of those too. I was very disappointed.

Flowerbed
Level 2
Level 2

RE: Re: RE: Beggars Banquet LK4955 unboxed Decca in stereo s

Post by Flowerbed » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:16 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone....
I think the fact that 'Patents Pending', from what I understand, was left off later pressings I'm confident it's the 1968 sleeve then that it came with!
Would still like to know if anyone has actually got a copy of the same LP in a stereo sleeve though....

sb11
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sb11 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:24 pm

My mono and stereo Beggars Banquet copies all came with their correct sleeves, inner sleeves, patents pending, etc. I checked first to make sure that the label and the sleeve were correct. I have seen some albums for sale with incorrect sleeves. I think it is mostly a mistake by either the factory, shop or just a careless owner. Some albums came with the incorrect mono / stereo sleeve with a sticker covering the original stereo / mono identifier. My guess is that the printer hadn't finished enough of the correct sleeves. The sticker then falls off with age. My Kinks stereo, Face to Face, album has this issue. I believe some Satanic Majesties stereo copies used a sticker covered sleeve. I doubt this was the case with Beggars Banquet as mono was getting to be a dying format and stereo the dominant format in 1968.

britinvasion64
Level 1
Level 1

Post by britinvasion64 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:13 pm

According to the SH Forum, the mono pressing of BB is a folddown from stereo anyway...except for Sympathy for the Devil. ;-)

Return to “Rolling Stones Questions”