Need Help Finding One Like This - adapter

If you are looking for any music related items, list them here. This includes records, tapes, CD's, equipment and accessories, etc. Please, no selling or hyping of websites or commercial services here.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

iibobii
Level 2
Level 2

Need Help Finding One Like This - adapter

Post by iibobii » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:01 pm

Hello, as some of you may know, I'm working on putting together a website devoted entirely to 45 record adapters. I'm currently in the process of photographing and posting many different types and style of adapters. (Not completed yet, but working on it). The site is 45recordadapters.com. I've come across a photo of a specific type of 45 that I've only seen twice. It appears to be a removable (and re-insertable adapter). Here's a picture of one. I've only seen this on this UK Gramophone record and a Parlophone record (Bill Doggett). I"m not looking for any specific artist or label, but if anyone has one of these available for sale, please let me know. I would love to own one of these for the collection and the site. Thanks! Bob
Attachments
45.jpg
45.jpg (53.74 KiB) Viewed 968 times

Pgh Guy
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by Pgh Guy » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:22 pm

Hey iibobii,

It is my understanding that the middle of the record displayed in your post is a knock-out part of the record.... They were mainly used in the UK and came as part of the record....You either left the middle on the record and played it with the small hole or knocked out the entire center section and played the record with the large hole... Maybe a few of our overseas members could tell you a bit more...Have fun and enjoy the music...

Pgh Guy
John G 8)

iibobii
Level 2
Level 2

Post by iibobii » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:31 pm

Hey John. In speaking with several people, this adapter was a bit different from the typical knock out types which you either had to cut or break out. From what I've been told (not yet proven), that this one could be removed, but then actually replaced. Since I've never seen one in person, I really can't prove or disprove that. Looking at the picture, I can see how that might be possible. I doubt that even if I had one that I would do that, but I would still love to have one and take a closer look. I think you're right, it looks like these were manufactured in the UK.

Hopefully, I'll find someone who has one to let go of.

Thanks!

Bob

wurlitzer1450
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by wurlitzer1450 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:32 pm

so is there little notches around the hole after you press this center out? i have some of these 45s from this era but i could never find them, they're filed in with my regular collection.
near the little town of nervous, new mexico

iibobii
Level 2
Level 2

Post by iibobii » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:34 pm

That's sure what it looks like, and what I've "heard". Seeing my website is all about adapters, I'll definitely have to add this type if that is actually how it works.
Bob

45recordadapters.com

heyjoe
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by heyjoe » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:31 pm

I'm with Pgh--maybe any of the punch-out centers could be replaced. I don't think it's a stand alone adapter.

iibobii
Level 2
Level 2

Post by iibobii » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:42 pm

Just to clarify (in case I didn't make myself clear), there's no doubt that this is a knock out. What makes this one different from the rest is that it "appears" that once it's removed, you can actually reinsert it back into the record. I've never seen that in a knockout. All the other knockouts are a one time thing...once you take it out, it's permanently out.
Bob

45recordadapters.com

iibobii
Level 2
Level 2

Post by iibobii » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:00 am

Found out some more information on these. These were called "Jigsaw" centres: The dies for these were used from (approximately) August 1956 to June 1957, fairly randomly. A few re-pressings of earlier records will be found with these centres. Incidentally these centres were used, to a lesser degree, throughout the EMI range (Columbia, Capitol, Parlophone & MGM).
Bob

45recordadapters.com

Return to “Your Wants”