Is this a store sticker or ? Red Album

This forum contains questions and answers pertaining to records from the Beatles. All may post to this board. No buying or selling of discs or the advertising of sites at this forum.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

no_dude
Level 2
Level 2

Is this a store sticker or ? Red Album

Post by no_dude » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:46 am

Bought this Beatles Red album. Shrink is in perfect place, vinyl is like new. These two circular stickers have me confounded. Can't find anything on the net that relate to them.

Anyone have any idea what they're for? Also there is a red piece of paper glued to the shrink with each album's song listing.

It's your standard: Apple Records ‎– SKBO 3403

Thanks
Attachments
Red Album.jpg
Red Album.jpg (19.41 KiB) Viewed 1701 times
"If the only thing keeping a person decent, is the expectation of divine reward, then, brother, that person is a piece of sh*t."- Rust Cohle

Graeme
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

RE: Is this a store sticker or ? Red Album

Post by Graeme » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:38 am

They look like dealers price stickers to me.

The track list sticker is original to the artwork, see - http://www.fab4collectibles.com/apple-LPs3.htm - seems you might have found a bit of a rarity (but I'm no Beatles expert).

Not sure if this is any help, but I found this snippet;

" In October of 1986, Rose Records ...... bought out the Laury`s Records chain (picking up Laury`s four stores in the Loop, Evanston, Niles and Deerfield) ... "

no_dude
Level 2
Level 2

Post by no_dude » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:15 pm

Thank you very much. Thankfully my old copy was shite and I saw this one for $30.

You're right. It's exactly like that one. Wonder why a xerox like that would make it so rare. Anyway, I'll do some more research. Many thanks.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent, is the expectation of divine reward, then, brother, that person is a piece of sh*t."- Rust Cohle

annaloog
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by annaloog » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:43 pm

I'm not familiar with Laury's chain, but many chain and department stores put price code stickers on LP covers, with a reference to a sign which assigned prices to the various codes. It was simpler to update the signs whenever prices changed, than to resticker every LP.

namralos
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by namralos » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:41 pm

First off, sealed copies are not that scarce, and there are very few dealers in the world who could get $475 for a copy. There's one on eBay right now with a $188 asking price and no takers. The highest-priced copy that has SOLD in the last month went for $80.

Laury's Records was a Chicago retailer that eventually had four stores open in the area. They were bought out by Rose Records in 1986.

AudioGasoline
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by AudioGasoline » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:30 pm

namralos wrote:Laury's Records was a Chicago retailer that eventually had four stores open in the area. They were bought out by Rose Records in 1986.
Is Laury's Records any relation to Laurie's Records (different spelling) in Chicago? Laurie's was still active when I visited in 2012 (or was it 2011?).

no_dude
Level 2
Level 2

Post by no_dude » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:59 pm

namralos wrote:First off, sealed copies are not that scarce, and there are very few dealers in the world who could get $475 for a copy. There's one on eBay right now with a $188 asking price and no takers. The highest-priced copy that has SOLD in the last month went for $80.

Laury's Records was a Chicago retailer that eventually had four stores open in the area. They were bought out by Rose Records in 1986.
I sort of knew this from looking at Popsike—last one sold like that sold for $55. Sadly they’re just looking for some sucker to come along and pay that $475. I see NM ones all the time.

Either way, the album is pristine and I have a nice double LP now.

Return to “Beatles Record Questions”