another "is there a butcher cover under there?" qu

This forum contains questions and answers pertaining to records from the Beatles. All may post to this board. No buying or selling of discs or the advertising of sites at this forum.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

hokeypix
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

another "is there a butcher cover under there?" qu

Post by hokeypix » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:55 pm

Trying to figure out if this mono Beatles YESTERDAY AND TODAY is a second state butcher. The RIAA is 4 (where is that from? is it true #4 is rarer?). It's mono.

I cannot see Ringo's black v-neck (though I've been known to miss it before) but what made me get this album is that one can plainly see part of the title, "AND TODAY" faintly under the actual "AND TODAY." I can't make sense of this -- was the title lower down in the original mono butcher pressings? It'd be great to see a superimposed image of the mono (not stereo) covers.

The slick covers part of the info on top. What are the other signs to look for? Typos or credits, anything like that?

OK, I'll try to post some images now....thanks.

hokeypix
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

RE: another "is there a butcher cover under there?"

Post by hokeypix » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:56 pm

for the life of me I don't know how to add images - unless they require tiny ones? I already shrunk it down to 72 dpi 400 x 474 and it won't post.
Attachments
beatles1a.jpg
beatles1a.jpg (23.43 KiB) Viewed 1394 times
Last edited by hokeypix on Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wurlitzer1450
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by wurlitzer1450 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:59 pm

wet it with lighter fluid, the background will show thru and the lighter fluid won't harm it.
near the little town of nervous, new mexico

hokeypix
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by hokeypix » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:03 pm

ok, I managed to add an image, but the specs are so low it's difficult to see any detail in it.

brioma33
Level 4
Level 4

Post by brioma33 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:08 pm

A number 4 is the pressing plant in Jacksonville, Illinois. That pressing plant did not put out any second state (paste over) butchers. Jacksonville destroyed their butcher covers and did not paste on trunk covers. Second state butchers will have numbers 2, or 3 (Scranton, Pennsylvania) and numbers 5 or 6 (Los Angeles, California)

Bri
Last edited by brioma33 on Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hokeypix
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by hokeypix » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:24 pm

Ah, interesting. Is there any chance a few slipped through the cracks? Or...perhaps the trunk cover was put on sloppily, so they put another trunk cover on top of it? I don't know if you can tell from the photo, but the words "And Today" of the title are very clear, underneath the original title, as if they put two slicks on. (And the slick is overlapping the info on top). And if so, would that have any value to a collector?

Btw, do you mean LA was 5 and 6?

brioma33
Level 4
Level 4

Post by brioma33 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:36 pm

Yes I did mean 5 & 6, I just corrected my post. Another way you can check is by comparing it with another album for size. A second state butcher was trimed down slightly on the open side of the cover after the new trunk slick was pasted on. It will shorter side to side than it is top to bottom. If I hold my butcher together with another album it's quite noticeable.

annaloog
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Re: RE: another "is there a butcher cover under there?&

Post by annaloog » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:47 am

wurlitzer1450 wrote:wet it with lighter fluid, the background will show thru and the lighter fluid won't harm it.
Just be sure to use cigarette lighter fluid, not charcoal lighter fluid.

namralos
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by namralos » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:29 pm

There were no Paste-Over butchers with a "4" on the back. These were allocated to the Jacksonville plant and were destroyed.

Most paste-overs are actually obvious once you know to look for one. That's why fans found them at first by accident. The second cover shows through at points all around the perimeter as well as below the album title.

2 = stereo Scranton
3 = mono Scranton
5 = stereo LA
6 = mono LA
other numbers not butchers

Return to “Beatles Record Questions”