Introducing The Beatles - How to spot a fake

This forum contains questions and answers pertaining to records from the Beatles. All may post to this board. No buying or selling of discs or the advertising of sites at this forum.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

keelerphoto
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by keelerphoto » Sat May 17, 2008 11:44 am

its real,both record and cover,,,, :D :D :D :D :D trust me,,,

johnny-guitar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by johnny-guitar » Sat May 17, 2008 12:54 pm

Thank you for the reply!

It would be interesting to know more how you know? How about the 1/4" flaps? I don`t recognise them from BeatleHarb website. Is there a difference between mono and stereo with that?

keelerphoto
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by keelerphoto » Sat May 17, 2008 9:18 pm

the main one i use is the Honey Test,,,look at a fake beatles vj sleeve ,all the fakes have blemishes on Honey in the song title :A taste of Honey: originals dont have the Blemish , :D :D

boyo
Level 5
Level 5

Post by boyo » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:02 pm

Quick question...are any bootlegs worth more than others? I have to copes of "Introducting", both of which are boots...one from the '70's with a very obviously out-of-focus cover and with a heavy vinyl record with a rainbow Vee-Jay label... I recently picked up another for $10, which is (obviously) worth what I paid for it, but it has a label which is more reminiscent of the original releases, but the cover is definitely bootleg...it passes the "Honey" test, but George casts no shadow and the hands on John's watch are illegible...

The question is, are any boot variations worth more than others?
The information of the information is informing the information it is being informed about.

vinylhunter
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by vinylhunter » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:22 pm

Found this one at a tag sale last weekend for 2 bucks.
After reading this entire thread and the eskimo site as well, I'm still not sure if I have an original.
2 things that stick out is 1). the width of the colorband is not uniform (see pic) and 2) it looks like the label is "painted" onto the vinyl (not a paper label). Not sure if that was how they were made or not. It has Love Me Do and P.S. I Love You on it with the small 45 size label. It has the Audio Matrix and MR stampings in the deadwax.

Original or fake?
Vinyl and cover are VG. If an original, any idea of value?
Attachments
IMG_2524.jpg
IMG_2524.jpg (55.47 KiB) Viewed 878 times

RidinTheWind
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by RidinTheWind » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:47 pm

I seem to recall someone saying that the dead wax should be an inch wide from the label to the last track.

As for the color band, I have read that the things to look for are a fine graduation between colors and no missing colors. Also, I recollect having seen VJ and Capitol color bands on non-collectable records lacking uniformity in width.
Anyone who thinks he has a foolproof plan hasn't counted on the ingenuity of fools.

keelerphoto
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by keelerphoto » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:47 pm

looks real,,, :D :D :D

love me do / version one was only on the shelves for a very short time,,

its getting harder to find the oval version one LP with love me do nowadays

BeatleHarb
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by BeatleHarb » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:02 pm

That's the much rarer authentic '45' label pressing. The plant ran out of LP sized labels and so had to use 45 size labels to keep production going. They're very hard to find in both versions, but the LMD pressing is especially difficult to find. Awesome buy!

vinylhunter
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by vinylhunter » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:49 pm

Thanks BeatleHarb. I had a feeling it was a good one, but you just confirmed it for me.
I'll put this right alongside the copy of Songs, Pictures and Stories of The Fabulous Beatles I found over the weekend.

urjellybean
Level 2
Level 2

Post by urjellybean » Mon May 24, 2010 5:23 pm

I have 3 introducing the beatles records without the sleeve. Would they still be worth anything?

Return to “Beatles Record Questions”