Introducing The Beatles - How to spot a fake

This forum contains questions and answers pertaining to records from the Beatles. All may post to this board. No buying or selling of discs or the advertising of sites at this forum.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

keelerphoto
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by keelerphoto » Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:06 am

some collectors buy the fakes, just to have as a reference on what the fakes and originals look like and to compare the two records ,,,,

Nitro
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by Nitro » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:32 am

my flea market dealer sells the fakes for $25-30. If you want to sell it, he'd probably pay about $10-15. Want me to ask him next time I go?
"Excuse me, but who's the one with a big blinky "Best Butt" sign hanging on the front of their house with a pole inside???"- kat1370

to make that long link short "[url=" (no quotes) paste link, follow with ]my link [/url]"

Nitro
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by Nitro » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:33 am

And yes, he knows they are fake, but people buy them, and are aware that they're fake.
"Excuse me, but who's the one with a big blinky "Best Butt" sign hanging on the front of their house with a pole inside???"- kat1370

to make that long link short "[url=" (no quotes) paste link, follow with ]my link [/url]"

Vinyliszt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Vinyliszt » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:17 am

Nitro wrote:my flea market dealer sells the fakes for $25-30. If you want to sell it, he'd probably pay about $10-15. Want me to ask him next time I go?
To whom are you addressing this? 8O

Vinyliszt

BeatleHarb
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by BeatleHarb » Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:16 pm

I collect the fakes as well as I find them valuable resources for showing people the comparisons between the real things and the counterfeits.

and Vinyliszt, my site is there as a graphical aid to distinguishing countefeits from the real thing. The big thing I cound wrong with Eskimo's page was that although it was informative in regards to the history of Vee Jay and the LP, it only had a few paragraphs as to how to determine a fake - none with comparitive pictures. It's all well saying "the inner flaps of the mouth are only 1/4 on real copies", but unless you know what they are you're stuck.

Vinyliszt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Vinyliszt » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:12 pm

BeatleHarb wrote:I collect the fakes as well as I find them valuable resources for showing people the comparisons between the real things and the counterfeits.

and Vinyliszt, my site is there as a graphical aid to distinguishing countefeits from the real thing. The big thing I cound wrong with Eskimo's page was that although it was informative in regards to the history of Vee Jay and the LP, it only had a few paragraphs as to how to determine a fake - none with comparitive pictures. It's all well saying "the inner flaps of the mouth are only 1/4 on real copies", but unless you know what they are you're stuck.
Please don't take umbrage at my saying that I thought eskimo's page was better than yours. I just found its composition more attractive. I've found out since then that there are a ton of other sites pointing out the differences in that LP with various quality web pages, so I'm not going to say who's really better. I just went to two and I made a visual comparison. And your site is definitely informative. But after my post, where I wondered about my mono copy versus the STEREOPHONIC on the cover, I went to another site that answered my question by providing comments on why my copy is mono and that's because there were no stereo stampers to use. This info is missing from your site as well as eskimo's. And, like I said, no once can possibly have all of the variations of the fakes that exist, I didn't see photos of a high quality fake such as I have.

If you like and to add to your website if visually satisfactory I can send you via email low resolution (640X480) photos of the covers and label, and the run-out groove numbers. I'm willing to sell my copy for a fair amount including shipping via MEDIA but just keep in mind that it is not a high-grade vinyl. Let me know.

Vinyliszt

Nitro
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by Nitro » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:32 pm

Vinyliszt wrote:
Nitro wrote:my flea market dealer sells the fakes for $25-30. If you want to sell it, he'd probably pay about $10-15. Want me to ask him next time I go?

Vinyliszt
To you. I was just pointing out that there is a market for the fakes.

Vinyliszt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Vinyliszt » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:44 pm

Nitro wrote:
Vinyliszt wrote:

Vinyliszt
To you. I was just pointing out that there is a market for the fakes.
Okay, Nitro, do please ask him. TIA.

Vinyliszt

Nitro
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by Nitro » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:52 pm

OK.

BeatleHarb
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by BeatleHarb » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:18 am

I wasn't taking umbrage over it, I was just explaining what differs my site from Eskimos. :)

Return to “Beatles Record Questions”