Pulled the trigger on a TT....Dual CS606

This forum is to serve as a gallery for unique, rare, plain or interesting turntables, record players or phonographs. Associated electronics is acceptable. <B>Please</B>, no buying or selling of items here.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

ronimous
Level 4
Level 4

Pulled the trigger on a TT....Dual CS606

Post by ronimous » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:07 am

Picked this up over the weekend. Traded an old watch for the TT and some cash. Near mint condition with the original box and paperwork. After some adjustment I'm listening to music! Might need a new cartridge. It still has the original and sounds a bit scratchy. I'll be bugging you guys for help fine tuning this beauty, but for now I just wanted to show it off and see what you think!

Jason

j_loop
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

RE: Pulled the trigger on a TT....Dual CS606

Post by j_loop » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:55 pm

Looks great and box and paperwork is always a plus (and a sign of a well kept piece). I've never heard one, but I suspect it should be a pretty solid performer. I also remember reading somewhere that Italian seasoning mates really well with this tonearm so you're off to a good start.

ronimous
Level 4
Level 4

RE: Pulled the trigger on a TT....Dual CS606

Post by ronimous » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:16 pm

lol. It WAS close to dinner time.

ShadySam
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by ShadySam » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:51 pm

how well are you satisfied with it's tracking/speed/etc?
Looks like alot of plastic parts (no offense intended)>?
Do you spin more LP's or 45's? When you switch over, how goes the fluctuation?
Thanks, I've never had an old Dual & been curious for a good while...

ronimous
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ronimous » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:04 pm

I just set it up last night. Still trying to figure out the tracking and speed and the rest. At first it wouldn't track, the stylus just slipped back off the side of the LP. It has the original cartridge/stylus so I may be looking at a replacement.

I've only spun a couple LPs on it, no 45's yet. I only own 1.

The only plastic really seems to be the base. Everything else is metal.

ShadySam
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by ShadySam » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:38 pm

gotcha. Let us know where ya snagged a new replacement stylus, ok? Good luck ron/rock on

KentT
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by KentT » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:46 am

Good turntable. Limited to low mass cartridge choices which do best with audiophile/perfect-nearly perfect record pressings. Sounds great. Performs well. Not what I recommend to vintage record fans but not junk in any way. Cartridge fitted to this turntable appears to be Ortofon LM or OM based and very nice. And there are DJ version styli for less than perfect and 45 single use.

ronimous
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ronimous » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:59 am

The cart is an ULM 55 E. I'm going to take it in to a record store and have a guy take a look at it. I think I've got it all setup correctly but it sounds pretty scratchy.

Also, can someone help me with using the strobe to set the pitch? I'm not sure I'm doing it correctly.

shoggoth80
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shoggoth80 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:02 pm

Try LP Gear for a replacement stylus perhaps? A gave a friend a later model Dual that has this cart on it, and it sounds pretty nice for what was an inexpensive table.
The strobe... is adjusted based on the corresponding tick marks on the side of the platter... if you are US, you want 60Hz. Adjust the speed until the ticks appear to stand still.
MCS 6600+Stanton 600, Yamaha Natural Sound K30, Technics SL-P117 , KLH 23s, Hitachi SR-604. Good Times!

Return to “Turntable Gallery”