My new Thorens TD-160

This forum is to serve as a gallery for unique, rare, plain or interesting turntables, record players or phonographs. Associated electronics is acceptable. <B>Please</B>, no buying or selling of items here.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

Yassassin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Yassassin » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:39 pm

I wish i had Thorens TD 160 too, it is my favorite turntable, someday i will find it too :) Right now i have JVC JLA1 and i use it at my home. Last month i bought Monarch T-700A to use it in my office, without music it is hard for me to work :) Actually i have no idea about Monarch turntables but it looks good to me :)

st2580smile
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Re: My new Thorens TD-160

Post by st2580smile » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:11 pm

Maintenance information: http://www.theanalogdept.com/index.html Original parts available.
It's such a fine line between clever and stupid.

B_big.
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by B_big. » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:24 pm

st2580smile wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:11 pm
Maintenance information: http://www.theanalogdept.com/index.html Original parts available.
( ( ( ( ( ((((((( .Image

Thanx for sharing, very interesting. What I experienced with my TD 160 Super is, that it is nearly unbreakable. Working reliable since 1975.

. Image
. Image
https://www.vinylrotation.org/
the fine art of record cover & sleeve & more
berlin/germany/europe/planet earth/milky way/universe

B_big.
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Increased quality of sound thru cartridge upgrade

Post by B_big. » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:20 am

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( ..Image

• Finally, after waiting two weeks for it to arrive, the courier brought it in the early afternoon. I'm talking about the upgrade I bought for my "Goldring 1022GX", not that this was bad, but . . . there's always a "BUT" I guess!

The stylus of the "Goldring G1042" has a certain kind of grinding and each of the many reviews I've read stated, that it will bring once again more definition, fine details and an increased brightness in reproducing the sound of the recordings, in comparison to my previous cartridge. What can I say, it's true, I'm overwhelmed and of course delighted, that I decided to upgrade.

Now my "Transrotor Cellino 25/40" is a real gem in terms of quality of sound, not just "eye candy". . Image

• . Image

. Image

. Image

For the audiophiles, here's a review. . Image
. Image
the fine art of record cover & sleeve & more
berlin/germany/europe/planet earth/milky way/universe

The Curator
Level 2
Level 2

Post by The Curator » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:37 pm

As I recall the TD-160 was the no.2 turntable recommendation in many UK hi-fi magazines in the early 80s, behind only the Linn LP12 (which cost far more). I know of a couple of guys who run them in their top end systems today.

In the UK, possibly elsewhere, if a TD-160 is beyond you then you can pick up a TD-150 for relatively little and as well as it having great sound performance (it was partly the inspiration behind the Linn LP12) it has plenty of scope for modification, which can develop into a hobby in its own right. A few years back I managed to rebuild a 150 out of parts from three donor decks for around £50 and learned some new skills in the process.

The Curator
Level 2
Level 2

Post by The Curator » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:58 am

B_big. wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:20 am

Now my "Transrotor Cellino 25/40" is a real gem in terms of quality of sound, not just "eye candy". . Image
Transrotor certainly make good looking decks. Unfortunately it's hard to find any of them in the UK. I gather that they have a gentleman's agreement with Michell, a UK manufacturer who play in the same space, not to compete in each other's country. It's a shame since Transrotor have a wider range.

I collect and refurbish turntables, although I'm having to let some of them go now due to space and "family pressure". I currently use a modified Townshend Elite Rock but haven't worked out how to post photos here just yet :oops:

B_big.
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by B_big. » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:44 am

The Curator wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:58 am
. . . but haven't worked out how to post photos here just yet :oops:
( ( ( ( ( ((((((( ..Image

• Have a look here! . Image
. Image