How much warp is too much?

Post questions and answers on the repair and prevention of record warps.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

Samlaurel
Level 5
Level 5

How much warp is too much?

Post by Samlaurel » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:48 pm

Hi, relatively new around here and still learning about the wonderful world of vinyl.

I was just curious as to what you people think is an acceptable amount of warp. I would say about 1 in 4 records I buy have a very slight wave in the beginning of them, as opposed to being 100% flat. The stylus bobs up and down a bit, but the records sound fine. I was just wondering if this is normal for records, or are records usually 100% flat? How do people determine how much warp is too much? Do you just go by how the record sounds?

hrtshpdbox
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Re: How much warp is too much?

Post by hrtshpdbox » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:39 pm

A very minor body wave, the kind that is hard to notice when holding it up and looking at it edge-wise, and which causes just a slight rise and fall in the record (and thus the cartridge) as it spins, isn't even worth calling a warp - it's just a record that doesn't lie 100% flat. A more pronounced rise and fall of the cartridge, along with clearly being able to detect it when holding it up and looking at it, is a warp even if it plays fine on your system - it might not on someone else's. Any edge warp at all, regardless of how benign, has to be noted when, for instance, describing a record for sale; for many collectors, any edge warp is "too much".

Samlaurel
Level 5
Level 5

RE: Re: How much warp is too much?

Post by Samlaurel » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:01 pm

Yes, the records that I have been buying occasionally have that body wave, but a person cannot see it when holding it up. I was wondering at what point a wave would cross the line into being considered a "defect" and you have answered my question. Thanks for the information.

annaloog
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by annaloog » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:16 pm

hrtshpdbox wrote:A very minor body wave ... isn't even worth calling a warp - it's just a record that doesn't lie 100% flat....
A warp by any other name is still a warp. Whether it can be judged acceptable is pretty much based on your cartridge's ability (within its 'normal' tracking force range and antiskate setting) to track the groove without introducing any distortion into the audio signal as it transits the warp.

Graeme
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

RE: Re: How much warp is too much?

Post by Graeme » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:40 pm

Even if you can track it, a warp will introduce wow, so it also depends on your tolerance to that problem.

hrtshpdbox
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by hrtshpdbox » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:01 pm

annaloog wrote:A warp by any other name is still a warp.
Yes, but some "warps" are so minor that they shall remain nameless. Out of curiosity I just observed ten random (unwarped) 45s spinning on my tt, flipping each over so I could see each side spin - only 3 of the 10 spun absolutely flat on both sides.

Samlaurel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Samlaurel » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:20 pm

hrtshpdbox wrote:
annaloog wrote:A warp by any other name is still a warp.
Yes, but some "warps" are so minor that they shall remain nameless. Out of curiosity I just observed ten random (unwarped) 45s spinning on my tt, flipping each over so I could see each side spin - only 3 of the 10 spun absolutely flat on both sides.
That's been the case with my lps, a lot of them do not lay absolutely flat when I play them. I was starting to wonder if I just had a dark warpy cloud over me when I go record shopping. I think that it may be that I was being a little TOO observant and wondering if the minor waves would be considered warps.

Return to “How do I repair a warped record?”