Preventing 45 storage warp

Post questions and answers on the repair and prevention of record warps.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

schmeankman
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Preventing 45 storage warp

Post by schmeankman » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:56 am

I have few 45's that I bought new last year (Big Star, Wilco, ect...), that are already warped, and I figure this is a result of my way of storing them, yet the older 45's don't suffer from the smae problem. It doesn't affect play, and I'd like to keep it that way. What am I doing wrong?

This is how I'm storing them:

annaloog
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Re: Preventing 45 storage warp

Post by annaloog » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:46 am

schmeankman wrote:... that are already warped, and I figure this is a result of my way of storing them ....
Maybe not. Quality control isn't what it used to be. The record companies recognize this, as they no longer accept returns for defective vinyl product.

whirlingdisc
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by whirlingdisc » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:09 am

IMO you are doing everything right...this is how they should be stored!
I might add that climate control may also be a factor...always good to run a dehumidifier in your storage room when it is hot and humid.
Do what you dig---dig what you do!!!

hrtshpdbox
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by hrtshpdbox » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:45 am

I store most of mine stacked on top of each other instead of standing up; either way, I think there's little chance of them being warped just from lying around. Direct heat sources or direct sunlight are obviously big no-no's, and trying to keep humidity controlled is probably a good idea too. If you don't have the heat and humidity issues, I doubt that you're doing anything that causes them to warp.

schmeankman
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by schmeankman » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:37 pm

annaloog wrote:
schmeankman wrote:... that are already warped, and I figure this is a result of my way of storing them ....
Maybe not. Quality control isn't what it used to be. The record companies recognize this, as they no longer accept returns for defective vinyl product.
I considered this as a possibilty, as about 4/5 new LP's I buy have some thing wrong with them (I don't buy 7"s too often), but I didn't notice it when I first bought them.
whirlingdisc wrote:IMO you are doing everything right...this is how they should be stored!
I might add that climate control may also be a factor...always good to run a dehumidifier in your storage room when it is hot and humid.
hrtshpdbox wrote:I store most of mine stacked on top of each other instead of standing up; either way, I think there's little chance of them being warped just from lying around. Direct heat sources or direct sunlight are obviously big no-no's, and trying to keep humidity controlled is probably a good idea too. If you don't have the heat and humidity issues, I doubt that you're doing anything that causes them to warp.
I think I've got climate control handled pretty well, no direct heat or anything like that. I will try a dehumidifier though when it gets hot though, I haven't thought of that.

PMannone
Level 4
Level 4

Post by PMannone » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:57 am

I've gotten a few new 45's recently too... A lot of times they are made as promos and freebies, which means the record companies or distributors don't care too much for them. Unfortunately, it seems like with this new "wave" of vinyl interest, stuff is getting pressed in poorer quality for the hipsters and "collectors" who buy the records to display and then download the mp3s to listen to. It seems like the smaller labels and re-pressers are more into quality and the big labels and reissuers just want to make a buck.

Mr_Analogital
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by Mr_Analogital » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:44 am

PMannone wrote:I've gotten a few new 45's recently too... A lot of times they are made as promos and freebies, which means the record companies or distributors don't care too much for them. Unfortunately, it seems like with this new "wave" of vinyl interest, stuff is getting pressed in poorer quality for the hipsters and "collectors" who buy the records to display and then download the mp3s to listen to. It seems like the smaller labels and re-pressers are more into quality and the big labels and reissuers just want to make a buck.
Exactly, and for the most part, that's why I always search out an original pressing as opposed to getting modern day aftermarket reissues, or at least make sure the reissue is 150gram pressing or higher (180 - 220) and/or from a reliable reissuer - i.e. Rhino or modern day Pickwick stuff, or audiophile pressings (Analog Productions, DCC, MFSL, ORG, etc.) though I know there's not much of a choice when it comes to new reissued 7" 45rpm's.

P.S. - schmeankman, you're storing them correctly. Contrary to popular belief, it's not humidity that will warp your records, it's heat and pressure (pressure regarding how they are stored... leaning... not leaning, etc.) Humidity however, is a factor when it comes to static electricity, so storing and playing your records in a humid atmosphere can affect the audible playback drastically ... for that reason, a humidifier is a great idea, as well as keeping a clean and sturdy carbon fiber brush or a de-stat gun.

-Tony
~ Tony
Vinyl Records - 2,166
Compact Discs - 1,472
Audio Cassettes - 284

RidinTheWind
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by RidinTheWind » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:27 pm

You're doing everything right. I think you put your finger on it when you said that the older 45's do not warp. So, it has to be what previous posters said, the quality of the new pressings is the cause.
Anyone who thinks he has a foolproof plan hasn't counted on the ingenuity of fools.

Return to “How do I repair a warped record?”