Fixed a large warp

Post questions and answers on the repair and prevention of record warps.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

flotsam-bay
Level 2
Level 2

Post by flotsam-bay » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:13 am

Sorry to leave everyone hanging, but I got a new job this last week and I kind of got sidetracked.

Anyway, here's how I did it.

I read the forum here on fixing warped records and did a goggle search as well. I found someone who used floor tile heated in a gas oven that seemed to have good luck with it.

The records I had were warped just on one side, so I didn't want to cover the whole record, just the warped part. I had some subway tile left over from a kitchen remodel that were just the right size.

I also had some cardstock I saved from some records I bought from a library. These were used between the record and the tile (I made a mark on them so I knew were the tile was located when it was covered.

I set the oven to 175 degrees and let the tiles sit in it for 10 minutes. I took one out (using oven mitts) and set it gloss side up on a wood cutting board. I then put the card stock on that and then set the record on it. I then put the second sheet of card stock on that and got the other tile out of the oven and put it gloss side down on the card stock.

I then lightly pressed down on the this record sandwich. When I start to feel the warps giving, I press down with more pressure and really lean into it when it starts to feel likes it bottoming out. This was good enough for a couple of lightly warped records, but for the ones like in my first post, I had to do the process again (I'm guessing the tiles lost too much heat before the unwarping process was done.)

On the Christmas record, I just couldn't get these last little ripples out, so I turned the oven up to 185 and did a very fast heavy press and slid the cardstock with the record out from between the tiles and continued to press the record until I was sure it was cooled off enough not to warp when I released the pressure.

So it comes down to the right temperature with the right amount of pressure at the right time. This is still a hit and miss process and should only be done with records that are unplayable. I next tried it on a Fats Domino EP that had more ripples in it and the vinyl actually shrunk!

The person I got the idea from used 8 inch tiles with cardstock that had a hole cut out for the raised middle of the 45. If you have records that are warped all the way around, that might be the way to go.

If you look close at the last good photo I took of the Christmas record I fixed, you'll see a bit of a shadow where the warps were. This process does change the appearance of the vinyl. There's a bit less gloss where the repair was done.

Fireflite
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by Fireflite » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:10 pm

Fair enough. Thanks.

Return to “How do I repair a warped record?”